Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 24 Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:50 pm
Fareseed View latest post
Maps request Servers Kaibz 53 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 pm
DaV View latest post
Hello Everybody Introductions vuaerom 7 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:44 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
Choo-Choo-Choose Me! Apply to join THG Regs JoePinball 6 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
#1 Server Stability Issue Team Fortress 2 TheKnigget 1 Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm
DaV View latest post
Ban Appeal Banned? Sophie_Hatter 4 Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm
DaV View latest post
Blame it on the Boom Boom Team Fortress 2 Shadow_Samurai 4 Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Shadow_Samurai View latest post
#2 Steam group chat Team Fortress 2 asmila 1 Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 pm
asmila View latest post

Secret to never missing a shot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerrDocktor
THG Member
THG Member

blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:57 am Post subject: No icon Secret to never missing a shot Reply with quote

Sorry if the title mislead you, but i don't know it myself....

What is it? anyone knows ?

I'm not talking about aim bots or similar stuff. But actually players that when using any weapon (say: shotty, scattergun, pistol or such) always land their shots, even if you try to zig-zag while using distance to your advantage. This assumes equal ping for all players.

I'm positive most of you met such a player or know of one.

Anyone got a clue on this? is it just skill and training? superior network rates or configs ? or what?
---------------------------------------------------------
GeneralTGF
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:06 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

It's skill, but I would definitely land more of my shots if I had a frame rate higher then 10-15. Wink
RipCurl
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 1
germany.png

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:20 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

Pure skill.

B-Boy
Faithful Poster
Faithful Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:34 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

The answer is always the same.

Skill ofcourse, but also a monitor running at 120hz + (only CRT's can do this till next month) and an fps as close to that as you can get.

Dont forget, all things equal fps wise, if you're running an LCD at 60hz and you come across someone who's using a CRT at 120hz, his screen is flashing twice as many images per second in front of his eyes. If you've got the fps to take avantage of this, and you're good enough, it's an advantage.

People will dispute this I'm sure, and claim that it's not that important, and you're entitled to your opinion. But it definately does make a difference, and it can seperate the good from the pro (less so in TF2 ofcourse).

Even now you don't see many of the top players in the top clans (Quake, Counterstrike, TF2) playing competitively at the top level on LCD's. Ask Thresh. And ask Precizion.

B-Boy
smudge
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:39 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

I haven't met someone like this. You need to stop standing still Wink.
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
MotaboY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:09 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

I think all you need for impeccable aim is a good, steady framerate, a comfortable mouse and a good mousepad. The rest is gained through practice ;o
Anomaly
Faithful Poster
Faithful Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:15 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

It usually mostly depends on your skill, but I have experience with two very limiting factors: bad computer can be a pain in the ass. When I got a new one, my scouting "skills" suddenly improved quite a bit.
The other factor is either too low or too high mouse sensitivity settings in game. Or having "mouse acceleration" turned on in your standard mouse settings. I had that on for quite some time, and I didn't even realise it. After you turn it off (if of course you have it set), it will be tricky, but not for very long as the results should become clear in considerably short time. And it's worth a little effort, makes aiming much easier. Smile
HerrDocktor
THG Member
THG Member

blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:21 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

Hmm, perhaps it would be better to downgrade the visual performance, downgrade the resolution a bit and have maximum FPS and maximum refresh rate on the monitor.

Gonna try it some day soon (on a server near you!).

I met players like i described, just to be sure it's not related to my low dodge performance i switched to scout and practiced dodging. I would loose health on each shot i'd receive. And i think i got decent dodge skills when not flying in the air after playing medic+pyro for ~230 hours combined.

(and no, i don't usually play suicide W+M1 pyro, i play sneak/dodge+M1 pyro Razz )

I always thought a top of the line Razor mouse and a strong dose of coffee would suffice for impeccable aim.
Precizion
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 5
blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:06 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

Just play with what ever settings you are comfortable with and don't worry about such things. As long as you aren't experiencing any major slowdowns in the middle of fights, you'll do alright.

There's no need to concern yourself over things such as monitors, mice, or configs. The only advantages you could gain from such is minimal at best, and totally irrelevant outside the very highest levels where games can be won and lost on a single fight and it can be worth looking for any extra edge. But even there such things shouldn't be over estimated. Put a top player on a system with all the graphics turned on, perhaps a worse monitor, and maybe even a cheap mouse, and still he will be able to compete.

There is only one thing that is going to make you a good player, and that is time. Nothing more. There is nothing special to being good at gaming. There is nothing that anyone really lacks that precludes them from becoming as good as anyone else. Sure, there are those that see more and learn faster, but even this is a skill can be learnt in time.

In the end it's all just about training and fine tuning control over muscles in your body and creating and rewriting neural pathways in your brain until you can get to a point where you can just point and aim exactly where you want to without even thinking about it. But this is not something that can be done overnight. The good thing though is that you don't even need to concern yourself too much about this either, as it will just take care of itself naturally.

Of course if you do want to concern yourself over such things there are ways to speed things up. Ways to practice and play, things to pay attention to. Just to give you one concrete example: Many may have noticed me running and spinning around in circles during setup, or flick shooting off at some point. Now this is not because I have ADD or because I am bursting with excitement and can't wait to get out there and kill some people: it is because I am working on the edges of my mouse control. It is a very simple thing, but one that can reap quite big rewards. And even when playing you can work on this control just by doing something as simple as 360 spins (in two 180 flicks) whilst running around the maps, and with the added bonus of checking for spies.

One final thing: Even though there are players out there who have been playing and improving for up to 10 years, there is no need to worry about playing as much as they have to be just as good, because you have them to learn from. And that is why watching plenty of demos can be one of best ways to improve your game.
Hesitater
Admin+
Admin+

votes: 8
hungary.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Sniper
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:47 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

This completely sums it up.

Nice work Precizion. Again.
Forum Rules
Hesitater
Admin+
Admin+

votes: 8
hungary.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Sniper
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:58 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

HerrDocktor wrote:

I always thought a top of the line Razor mouse and a strong dose of coffee would suffice for impeccable aim.

As Precizion said: In almost any cases you are good to go with any equipment until it is functioning and comfortable for you.

And coffee makes me dizzy. When its Hesitater bodyshots day you all know I had too much coffee.
B-Boy
Faithful Poster
Faithful Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:13 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

HerrDocktor wrote:
Hmm, perhaps it would be better to downgrade the visual performance, downgrade the resolution a bit and have maximum FPS and maximum refresh rate on the monitor.

Yep. Can't think of a better way to improve your aim over time.
Crehl
Faithful Poster
Faithful Poster

blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:43 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

Precizion wrote:
There's no need to concern yourself over things such as monitors, mice, or configs.
The only thing I'd say against your entire post - make sure you're happy with your mouse sensitivity. This doesn't exactly mean changing the sensitivity, it just means to learn to be more precise with whatever sensitivity you have. Personally, I prefer higher sensitivities than most - I have to move the mouse less, but that's just a personal preference. Only if your sensitivity is far too low or far too high do you really need to worry about it.

Other than that, just to repeat what others have said - and make sure you get a good average frame rate of 50-60fps. Most games should be playable as low as 30-40, but remember during the more packed battles with more projectiles and particles flying around the place the framerate my drop quite some.

Oh, and believe in yourself. It can work wonders.
scoobiesnax
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 3
uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:59 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

[quote="Precizion"]
In the end it's all just about training and fine tuning control over muscles in your body and creating and rewriting neural pathways in your brain until you can get to a point where you can just point and aim exactly where you want to without even thinking about it.
[quote]

Precizion is Borg........everyone beware of the collective!!!!
Wrath
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:11 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

1. Go heavy
2. Hold finger down
3. ???
4. Profit!

Works for me Very Happy
Forum Rules
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  Team Fortress 2 All times are UTC [DST enabled]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: