Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 24 Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:50 pm
Fareseed View latest post
Maps request Servers Kaibz 53 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 pm
DaV View latest post
Hello Everybody Introductions vuaerom 7 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:44 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
Choo-Choo-Choose Me! Apply to join THG Regs JoePinball 6 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
#1 Server Stability Issue Team Fortress 2 TheKnigget 1 Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm
DaV View latest post
Ban Appeal Banned? Sophie_Hatter 4 Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm
DaV View latest post
Blame it on the Boom Boom Team Fortress 2 Shadow_Samurai 4 Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Shadow_Samurai View latest post
#2 Steam group chat Team Fortress 2 asmila 1 Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 pm
asmila View latest post

Unusual classes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerrDocktor
THG Member
THG Member

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:32 pm Post subject: No icon Unusual classes Reply with quote

I know we all have the classes we'r best at, but have you tried to use other classes for a laugh?

I tried sniper after seeing some inspirational youtube videos...needless to say the video didn't help and i still sucked at it Razz

So what about the rest of you?

I know i don't remember seeing Pico as scout, Binsky as sniper or Precizion as pyro for example
---------------------------------------------------------
Arne_Waise
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:38 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

Mine has to be scout Razz even tho i try to improve its still the same... i run inn but dont come out Razz
or spy.... for some reason everyone knows im a spy! still there is so many spys that its no need for me as spy Razz
smudge
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:11 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

Sniper for me as well. I really don't have the best aim in the world.

Soldier as well, but im starting to get more into soldier since there are tactics that I can use to counter my lack of aim such as spamming rockets Razz (or stealth).
Crehl
Faithful Poster
Faithful Poster

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:13 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

Scout or pyro. There's nothing I like more than running in kamikaze-style as pyro and trying to burn everyone in sight (Whether they're in range or not). Of course, that fails most of the time. Scout's fun to harass people and jump around the PL cart, moving it very slowly while staying (relatively) safe from stickies.
GeneralTGF
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:21 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

I would have to say Spy. Most of the time I lack patience to wait for something to develop before rushing in and that results in me being dead. I did watch a lot of videos on YT with some pretty good tips and all but at the end of the day I still end up sucking.

Maybe if I invested some serious time into the class it would be better but it can be pretty frustrating to die from random spam, backstab malfunction 10 times in a row.
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
smudge
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:45 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

You basically need to play spy pretty much constantly to master it. Whilst a class like engineer or medic you can master quickly. The failed backstabs can be dignificantly reduced by learning when to stab (which isn't obvious). Of course you still get loads of failed backstabs but I guess you just accept it after a while.
druid
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 11
blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:41 am Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

its spy for me i just basically cant play the bugger - or it could be that i just keep running into psychotic pyros Wink
then it's sniper, athough its only cause i dont like snipers - its more like point-and-click game for me
Lord Vader finds your lack of competence.. disturbing..
Anomaly
Faithful Poster
Faithful Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 am Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

I'm crap at everything which isn't scout or medic, but I have times when I want to play spy or pyro, and lately some soldier because pyro get's owned in spamfests too, just like the scout (not to mention the spy). Me playing soldier isn't a beautiful thing to see, but spamming is fun from time to time.

Oh there was also one time when I tried to play as a sniper. I did sort of well, probably because of the horrible custom spam map called Warpath which allowed me to camp...

I am so not touching demoman though. The aiming is so...strange. I'm very much used to hitscan weapons, and those nades fly SO slowly. Not to mention the stickies... Played as him just long enough to get that achievement where you have to play all the classes for one round. And killed myself with stickies so many times. I swear, the blast radius is HUGE. Very Happy

Heavy weapons guy is simply too slow. Comparing to Scout, Heavy is so slow he goes back in time, at least that's how I feel. I respect all the heavy players that actually manage to survive two seconds by being big fat, steel soaking targets...
Precizion
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 5
blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:21 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

I think I've only ever played Pyro twice. Once when I first got the game, and once when the update for them came out. And it's doubtful I'll ever pick it up again, since it has pretty much no redeeming features. I mean, not only is it incredibly weak in 1v1 situations against other classes, it's also not a very good team class without a medic and an uber ready since there isn't much you can do against an enemy sentry unless it's really badly placed. OK, maybe that last point is just me, but when playing an offensive class I like to be always pushing forwards towards the map's goal, and it get's a little frustrating when you have to rely on others to take out SG's so you can progress.

Thinking about it though, maybe I will pick it up again at some point, if just for the challenge (still don't haven't done the achievements for it either) and because it's something new to learn.

I also have just as little time played as a Spy, but for perhaps other reasons. There's just too many little things that are out of your control and can go wrong when playing that class. It's one I wouldn't mind learning at some point though. Perhaps I'll just follow Fyrh around when I do, because damn is he annoying when playing that class.
Pico
Spam Poster
Spam Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:52 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

in fact i really like the scout but dont play it very often because of my bad comp. when im at a faster pc there is better chance for me to do some points with the fast guy. my least-played class is the heavy although it doesnt seem to me like that. i hate playing the class when no decent medic is around, but if theres someone willing not only to heal me but also the rest of the team then the points fly onto my board like pigeons in "schlaraffenland" (hope you know what i mean *lol*, dictionary says its calld cockaigne in english).
theres no class i dont play, pyro would be the one i didnt play for weeks. favorites are soldier, demo, sniper, medic and heavy.
Forum Rules
fyrh56
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:31 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

I still pick up soldier every now and then, seeing if that day's the day I'd be able to finally play with that damned class. To be honest, I'm surprised I never fired the rocket launcher backwards. Rockets are slow as hell, i can't hit shit that isn't already hugging me, and if I DO hit them close range, I always have the feeling that I end up hurting me more than I hurt them. I suffer a similar problem with the demo, but somehow I find the pipe-launcher much easier to use. Even Kritzkrieg's don't make my Soldier'ing better.
HerrDocktor
THG Member
THG Member

blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:23 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

Precizion wrote:
not only is it incredibly weak in 1v1 situations against other classes,
...but when playing an offensive class I like to be always pushing forwards towards the map's goal

Crehl wrote:
There's nothing I like more than running in kamikaze-style as pyro and trying to burn everyone in sight

Valve mislabeled the pyro as offensive class, actually is defensive. And a offensive pyro is a dead pyro.
Golden rule of pyro-ing: get behind them (unseen if possible), then hit and run for cover
The backburner is what makes the difference, and it rewards your successful infiltration with guaranteed crits. Using it it's like making multiple backstabs, but without the wonky hit registration.

the kamikaze stile is only useful when you want to buy some more time for your team and you got no way to out-flank the enemy. If you can get past the carpet of rockets, stickys, nades and the occasional sniper, you have just bought your team 10-15 secs of breather space, which sometimes is enough to justify the sacrifice-run. Altho, in that case perhaps a demo would do better.

..which reminds me: note to self: play more demo
smudge
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:01 pm Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

I like playing pyro to simply set as many people on fire as possible. So I always have my flare gun activated, firing at snipers, heavies...anything. It causes chaos since everyone hates being on fire and will go back for health even though the damage done isn't huge.

But I have to agree with you Herrdocktor, backburner is very fun and great if you already know how to play as spy. However the hit detection is just as dodgy as the spy, many don't register.
druid
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 11
blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:40 am Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

Yes, valve messed up with pyro its not offensive class. Personally im not sure if pyro is even defensive class either (demo is much better), imo its only there to spread terror, confusion and destroying ubers - thats why i believe backburner sucks big time, ab ftw Smile - there is nothing like getting in group of enemies, burn them, everyone starts shooting everyone, you blast them and run away, getting points of assits and deflections. And i believe ab is the only defence pyro has - as Precizion mentioned he is not really powerful agains other classes unless its 'hugging-time' contact.
Lord Vader finds your lack of competence.. disturbing..
GeneralTGF
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:39 am Post subject: No icon  Reply with quote

I dunno, placing a Pyro on offense seems right to me. He has good health, good damage and a good mobility. Add to that airblast and axtinguisher and he is pretty powerful. But "labels" shouldn't be examined that much in the first place. After all Demoman is on defense and he is the best class to actually break a defensive line.

What I noticed is that offensive classes are comfortable at actually attacking, while defensive classes work better when the enemy is coming at them.
Forum Rules
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  Team Fortress 2 All times are UTC [DST enabled]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: