Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Please unban Banned? zzz123 5 Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:11 pm
zzz123 View latest post
Application Apply to join THG Regs TinyPixel 2 Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:16 pm
aerynsun View latest post
Chocolate croissants General Chat jolle 11 Sun May 26, 2019 6:52 am
scrim coming to place near you soon Smile Team Fortress 2 aerynsun 36 Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:50 pm
Derfy View latest post
hats plox Team Fortress 2 Derfy 1 Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 pm
Hello there Introductions sham1 6 Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:51 pm
JoePinball View latest post
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 39 Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 am
Fareseed View latest post
Maps request Servers Kaibz 57 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:19 pm
DaV View latest post

[IDEA] Little changes of the maplist
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zapo

blank.png

Favourite TF2 Class: med/pyro
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:49 pm Post subject: No icon [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

DaV edit 06/01/18 - Now live on Vanilla Fun and Vanilla Too Much Fun. betanominate is no longer needed. Use nominate as before

Just idea to discuss, I did similar thing on the server i used to play some years ago and it went well. Maybe it will go well here too.
I hope somebody accepts my challenge and will take part in this little discussion ;)

Problem:
Lot of people nominate maps from first 2 pages, some people nominate maps from further pages

We have lot of maps on the #1 server but we play often "the most played maps" like:
-badwater
-upward
-pl_pier
- insert the name of the map here
They are good to make server full and keeps it alive, i don't neglect it.
We were able to play recently i.e pl_goldrock more often than some time ago but I think there is still too little rotation such maps.
Unfortunately, the list of the maps is messy and if i want to choose something what is played rarely then i must look through some pages to check (or find) the map which can suit to the server and actually situation. If i finally find the map then i cant nominate it because 5 other maps were nominated earlier.

Proposition:
Make the list of the maps more friendly/orderly
When user types nominate then there could be list of sub-menus.
1. "The most played"
We could have here badwater, upward, barnblitz, pl_pier etc
2. "other payload maps"
3. "cp maps"
4. "koth maps"
5. other
All of the maps would be sorted alphabetical (to find maps easier).

Benefits:
1. There is no one big list of maps with many pages
2. User can find a map faster due to basic type of map (the most played, payload, cp, koth, etc)
3. There is greater chance ppl start to nominate other maps than the most played which are currently on first pages (it needs patience to find the map user thinks about)
Especially regular players who prefer "custom" maps and don't remember their names
DaV
Community Admin
Community Admin
I Donated this last month :)

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:57 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

I actually quite like this idea  Surprised

The nominate menu could definitely benefit from a bit more structure to better group maps of a similar type together. It could also do with a bit of a clear out as there's definitely maps on there that are not played much, if ever. Would reduce the sheer number of maps and free up a bit of space on the server too.

Unfortunately, I don't think the 'nominate' plugin out of the box can do this. Internally, maps that can be nominated are stored in a simple text file that the plugin reads in and displays.

However, we do have the source file for the plugin and I think it should be possible to update this to add a menu system as you've described. I'll have a look into this over the coming days and see what I can come up with!  :P

Edit: How did you implement this on a previous server? Was it an available plugin we can download and use, or was it custom? I don't mind having a go at implementing it, but if there's something ready-made we can use, great.
zapo

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:08 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

DaV wrote (View Post):
How did you implement this on a previous server? Was it an available plugin we can download and use, or was it custom? I don't mind having a go at implementing it, but if there's something ready-made we can use, great.

I don't know how it was implemented, i also wasn't responsible for scripts on the server (we had other hierarchy than the one on THG and technical-supervisors were responsible for script/plugin related things on servers), i just requested what we needed :P

As far I remember, I added zipped map to one folder and then i modified context of the txt file in other location (I added the name of the map to that file).
Maps names must be sorted manually.

The structure of the file looked like JSON:
- external nodes represented tabs/views/submenus (lets call them "ext")
- internal nodes of each "ext" node was the name of the map

It looked something like this (umc_mapcycle.txt):
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=134190#Example

Maybe it was modification of the plugin above, but i don't guarantee
DaV
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:22 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

[quote="zapo";p="51940"]
DaV wrote (View Post):

It looked something like this (umc_mapcycle.txt):
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=134190#Example  

Thanks will take a look!
olshi
Regular@THG
Regular@THG

votes: 1
germany.png

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:08 am Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

Is it also possible to remove 2fort and similar maps that only get nominated by trolls? It's not fair to other players, who then can't make genuine nominations, because trashy maps are occupying some of the limited (5) nomination slots. I've seen this happen often lately, especially with certain individuals on the server.
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
DaV
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:43 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

olshi wrote (View Post):
Is it also possible to remove 2fort and similar maps that only get nominated by trolls? It's not fair to other players, who then can't make genuine nominations, because trashy maps are occupying some of the limited (5) nomination slots. I've seen this happen often lately, especially with certain individuals on the server.

I can certainly remove 2fort from the nominate list if required, but of course this prevents everyone from playing it, even the ones who want to. I realise it's a map that is played very rarely though.

I've increased the number of nominations to 6. This is the maximum allowed via the cvar. I can likely increase it further if needed but would need to recompile a plugin.

I do agree though that it's unfair for others if some players are nominating unconventional maps just because. Feel free to PM me names if you want olshi.
With my newly acquired sourcemod scripting knowledge I can likely block players nominating using their steamID if required, but hoping it doesn't have to come to that...
zapo

blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:54 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

DaV wrote (View Post):

but of course this prevents everyone from playing it, even the ones who want to. I realise it's a map that is played very rarely though.

Majority of maps is played rarely, we have just too many maps and there is no possibility to play them all.
If we remove them then problem will be solved. If somebody wants to add map on the server then they can write a post on forum :)

I hope something will change when maps are reordered in (sub)menus.

Btw Dav, maybe there should be separate new subject/post (due to redesigning maplist menu) on the forum related to maps which should be on the #1 while you fight with the script to display maps ? People who are interested will take part in discussion and when you finally end the modification of plugin you will have also list of suggested maps by players to remove.
I've seen some reasonable players (i count on you too olshi!) on forum so there is also hope they will answer
olshi
Regular@THG
Regular@THG

germany.png

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:22 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

DaV wrote (View Post):
I've increased the number of nominations to 6. This is the maximum allowed via the cvar. I can likely increase it further if needed but would need to recompile a plugin.

Thanks. That's probably the best solution. I'm not even sure anything should be changed at all. It's not a major problem, more a minor annoyance. It's just trolls being trolls nominating controversial maps, not because they want to play them, but to annoy certain players.
DaV
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:37 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

OK, I've now got a version of this up and running and ready for testing on #1.

It can be accessed by typing 'betanominate' in chat rather than 'nominate'. It should work alongside the existing/old nominate menu, so either menu can be used to nominate maps (or directly in chat if you know the map name, as before)

I haven't yet added a 'popular maps' option yet but all maps available through the nominate list should be in one of the following sections:

1. Payload
2. Capture Point
3. King Of The Hill
4. Miscellaneous
5. Valve Vanilla

Feel free to give it a test and let me know of any issues  Surprised
zapo

blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:11 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

DaV wrote (View Post):
OK, I've now got a version of this up and running and ready for testing on #1.

You are fast, thx.
I wont ask if you are good programmer and you add tests to things you code :P

1. It seems
!betanominate insertMapName
doesn't work.
2. I couldn't find upward in betanominate-maplist (maybe i'm blind)
3. i could noimate badwater-pro when we were on badwater-pro
Forum Rules
DaV
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:17 am Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

The updated nominate menu plugin is now live on the Vanilla Fun and Vanilla Too Much Fun servers.
Therefore betanominate is now no longer required and !nominate can be used as before.

I'll be adding it for the crit-vote server too, but as it has a different nominate list, I need to make up a few new files. Will try and do this tomorrow.

zapo wrote (View Post):
I wont ask if you are good programmer and you add tests to things you code Razz

Of course I test things I code Smile It's my day job...although not using sourcemod! In this case it was manually tested by yours truly before I let you guys loose with it.

zapo wrote (View Post):
1. It seems
!betanominate insertMapName
doesn't work.

Yes I knew about this one. TLDR, I knew it would work fine once I removed the 'beta' menu so didn't bother trying to make that version work.

zapo wrote (View Post):
2. I couldn't find upward in betanominate-maplist (maybe i'm blind)

Should be listed under the 'Vanilla' menu, second from last entry. If it's still not there let me know and I'll try and figure out why not!

zapo wrote (View Post):

Hmm, that seems like a bug - I'll test this tomorrow and see if I can recreate. Although I haven't changed any of the sourcemod nomination code that decides whether a map is the 'current map' or 'recently played' etc and prevents you from nominating it.
Of course, that doesn't mean I haven't broken it in some other way  Razz

Thanks for testing it and giving feedback.
DaV
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:04 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

zapo wrote (View Post):

This is now fixed  Embarassed  Smile
zapo

blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:18 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

DaV wrote (View Post):

In this case it was manually tested by yours truly before I let you guys loose with it.

professionally its called beta-tests :P

DaV wrote (View Post):

This is now fixed  Embarassed  Smile

So there was a bug or you couldn't reproduce it ?
DaV
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:33 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

zapo wrote (View Post):
So there was a bug or you couldn't reproduce it ?

Bug. The existing sourcemod plugin uses a string map to track excluded/current/recently played maps. This worked when there was only one menu, but as soon as I added the others, it was clearing this cache for each menu, so it only worked for the last menu.

I've also added the plugin onto the crit-vote server too but the included maps are a little different.
olshi
Regular@THG
Regular@THG

germany.png

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:36 pm Post subject: No icon Re: [IDEA] Little changes of the maplist Reply with quote

Is it possible to show the names of players next to the maps they nominated during mapvote?
Forum Rules
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  Team Fortress 2 All times are UTC [DST enabled]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: