Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
#1 Server Stability Issue Team Fortress 2 TheKnigget 1 Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm
DaV View latest post
Ban Appeal Banned? Sophie_Hatter 4 Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm
DaV View latest post
Blame it on the Boom Boom Team Fortress 2 Shadow_Samurai 4 Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Shadow_Samurai View latest post
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 21 Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:06 pm
Fareseed View latest post
Choo-Choo-Choose Me! Apply to join THG Regs JoePinball 5 Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:13 pm
the_steel_rat1 View latest post
#2 Steam group chat Team Fortress 2 asmila 1 Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 pm
asmila View latest post
Maps request Servers Kaibz 42 Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 am
Fareseed View latest post
Hello Everybody Introductions vuaerom 6 Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:15 pm
JoePinball View latest post

Server maintenance & upgrades
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> News & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 10
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:56 pm Post subject: No icon Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

This is a copy from HH as frog is going to be doing some maintenance & upgrades within the next few days!

Citrix XenServer 6.5 was released a few weeks ago and it offers significant performance improvements. We are currently running 6.2, the previous version, here's a comparison chart of some of the improvements.

Citrix XenServer is the environment in which the HH and THG virtual machines (VM) are running.

Over the next couple of days frog will upgrade our XenServer installation to 6.5, this is going to involve the following steps.

* Setting up a new backup system for creating and storing VM snapshots on a remote server.
(Currently our backup system operates on the database, website and game servers, rather than the whole VM.

* Researching the safest/easiest/least messy method of upgrading to 6.5. This will boil down to either;

a) wiping the server, installing 6.5 and then dropping the latest VM snapshot backups on to it.

b) upgrading the current 6.2 installation.

All of this is going to be new territory for frog.

I think it's best to do this upgrade before investigating the ping issue relating to the TF2 servers.

A couple of points regarding the TF2 ping issue.

* It started out of the blue and after several weeks of trouble-free operation. This means it's not a capacity issue. It's not that the hardware and OS configuration that we have isn't suitable for the job.

* Pings spikes only seemed to occur on the TF2 servers, whereas a ping log from the server to my home network for 12 hours stayed in the range of 13.6ms to 28.4ms during the period that people where experiencing ping spikes on the TF2 servers.

Hopefully its not to much of a headache for frog and all goes well. As he mentioned it is all new for him this xen software.

However he is the man and I have faith it will all go well
Hidden: 
Hopefully  Laughing
frog
VIP Member
VIP Member

votes: 1
blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:42 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Here's an update...

Without going into too many details, there isn't a feasible upgrade route for updating 6.2 to 6.5 with our current situation (no physical access, no SAN, remote network etc.)

So snapshots of the VMs will be made, the server wiped and 6.5 installed, and then the snapshots imported.

This is probably going to result in the best part of a day of downtime.

Before doing this I'm going to have a few trial runs on a test server, if I can muster one together, so that I can figure out what is going to work best with regards to various VM image formats and the shuffling of data (130GB).

The actual upgrade is most likely to happen in the early part of next week. I'll avoid the weekend and start early on a weekday so that, with any luck, everything is back up and running by the evening.

p.s. Don't fret, upgrades, such as this, will be few and far between. 6.2 was released in June 2013. The timing of the release of 6.5 is just unfortunate, as it's so soon after our move.
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:21 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Thanks for the update frog much appreciated  Wink
frog
VIP Member
VIP Member

blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:19 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

On Monday 9th March, the following maintenance will occur. Most things will be offline for approximately 9 hours.

Shutdown of HH website, mumble and all game servers
Shutdown of THG website, mumble and TF2 servers #1 & #2
Export of HH and THG virtual machines. (~4 hours)
Installation of Citrix XenServer 6.5. (~45 minutes)
Import of HH and THG virtual machines. (~4 hours)
Upgrade XenTools (~20 minutes)

You'll be able to track progress at http://gg.gg/serverupdate (bookmark this)

Last edited by frog on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:35 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Hope it all goes to plan frog gl & thanks for the update, let me know if you need any help with anything  Wink
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
Shake
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:08 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Thanks for this Frog, good luck with the maintenance!
JoshSpeed
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 3
estonia.png

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:44 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Thanks for the update man.
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Todays maintenance may take some time & our servers maybe be down this evening due to the long maintenance and upgrades that are taking place..

THG & HH  can all play here 193.0.159.201:27045 "Spread the IP if its needed"

I will add the ID to our steam group also THG Kris has a 2nd backup server sorted out if this one has any issues  Wink

Hopefully our main servers will be up and running asap  Engy  Medic
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin
I Donated this last month :)

votes: 11
uk.png

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:08 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

11.10pm and we are back well done frog and those involved Smile
DaV
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:31 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Well done and thank you to everyone involved for their hard work  Very Happy
Forum Rules
frog
VIP Member
VIP Member

blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:20 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Thanks, it ended up being rather a slog with a sudden steep learning curve.
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:01 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Great work frog, you got there in the end m8 well done much appreciated cheers  Cool
AMT
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 6
blank.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Medic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:59 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Thanks frog for all the work, if you need help i might be able to give some, i never worked on Xen but worked VMware and Hyper-V before
---------------------------------------------------------
frog
VIP Member
VIP Member

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:04 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

We're not quite out of the woods yet.

This is a fresh build that needed to happen so that I could get tcpdump on to the THG VM before network connectivity had died. The strange thing is that networking would work fine for a time, but then out of the blue it would drop and not comeback, even after a reboot of the VM and the VM host. I was unable to find any reason for it doing so.

Network support reached a point where they were unable to offer any further assistance unless I could provide a tcpdump. Now that it is installed, and if it happens again, then we should finally be able to pin down the issue.

Additionally, I have 2 IPs on order that share the same range. Which provide another option that remove any potential issue caused by the use of differing ranges between the 2 VMs.

If another network issue occurs and isn't quickly solved by a tcpdump or IP change, then I have suggested to Binksy that we ditch the use of VMs and directly share the dedicated server using multiple IPs.  

It's taken up a huge amount of time for me and has been quite a stress, in addition to the other work that I have got on.

I can only apologise for the down time.
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:32 am Post subject: No icon Re: Server maintenance & upgrades Reply with quote

Great work "again" frog I know you have worked very hard and its consumed allot of your time which I'm sure we are all thank full for Wink I deffo am as it would of taking me allot longer than your self to keep fixing this issue.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it else I'm sure we can come to a solution 1 way or another.

Fingers crossed  Medic

Last edited by binksy on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forum Rules
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  News & Announcements All times are UTC [DST enabled]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: