Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Hello Everybody Introductions vuaerom 7 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:44 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
Choo-Choo-Choose Me! Apply to join THG Regs JoePinball 6 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
#1 Server Stability Issue Team Fortress 2 TheKnigget 1 Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm
DaV View latest post
Ban Appeal Banned? Sophie_Hatter 4 Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm
DaV View latest post
Blame it on the Boom Boom Team Fortress 2 Shadow_Samurai 4 Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Shadow_Samurai View latest post
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 21 Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:06 pm
Fareseed View latest post
#2 Steam group chat Team Fortress 2 asmila 1 Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 pm
asmila View latest post
Maps request Servers Kaibz 42 Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 am
Fareseed View latest post

Sever : Ping / Best server to keep discussion - Feedback?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2 -> Servers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kLoWn
Admin+
Admin+

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:20 am Post subject: No icon Sever : Ping / Best server to keep discussion - Feedback? Reply with quote

I started playing on THG because of the funny people that played, the audio banter, quality of players and the low ping (20-30ms ish) that made it a great place to play.

I find that a lot of these aspects are now suffering, particularly the audio banter (im kinda guilty to as my mic broke and I havent replaced it) and ping. My ping these days is 80ms on average on net graph three and when looking at the sever the average ping of the payers is 50-70ms.

Recently while the severs is quite I have been playing on the KritKast server where my ping is 5ms with max ping at 20-30ms for players across Europe, alltalk is always on and there is lots of chat. The difference in gameplay with a low ping is really really noticeable. At the moment the only thing keeping me playing on THG is the people and history.

I know we changed servers a good few times but for me the ping issue is something that needs to be addressed and is important for the longevity (certainly for me anyway) for the game. Perhaps find out who kritkast is leasing their sever from?

Perhaps this is only something that is affecting me and everyone else is generally happy with the ping they are getting? I would appreciate feedback :)

k
---------------------------------------------------------
Be brave and shoot rockets so that kLoWn may love thee
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 7
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Engineer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:38 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever 1: Ping Reply with quote

My Ping isn't very good on the #1 either which is why I'm not usually on long once we get it filled. My normal ping is around 40-55ms maximum with a full 32 slot UK server. However as the current #1 server is located in Germany (IIRC) my ping jumps up another 10-20ms which is very noticeable. I still don't know how some people continue to play with pings of 100ms or higher, even 70ms is unacceptable to me although that's partially because I love to play sniper.

I also miss the banter but I can't complain there as I've never contributed very much to that, I generally just keep to myself.

We currently have our Payload server (and the backup payload server) constantly empty so what are our thoughts on swapping the servers around again and having the #1 be UK hosted again? As you've said before Binksy it's a much older IP and is well known. I'm unfamiliar with what routing/IP/host issues we had with that IP though as I was probably off playing BF4 at the time, can someone remind me how bad it was?
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 10
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:16 am Post subject: No icon Re: Sever 1: Ping Reply with quote

I have also thought about this and kinda agree! We can use any 1 of the current 3 servers left! "for our main server" The NEW match server/backup payload server is a friends server that we can take over, which also is a cheap server not sure on the quality, Although it did play well with the last event/matches that were played not so long back.

The old payload server "the one that says moving!" is going very soon only degraded the slots to show those that its gone/moved, this server is an old ip we used for the old arena server, and before that  #1, it had some routing issues back then, which I am not sure if it still has, you can all go check into this and we can decide what 1 to make/keep as our #1 server.

We should All have a think about this as it is important and atm we still have the old uk gameservers.com ip. which is a very good box / hardware its just the network I am still not 100% sure on ;/...
kLoWn
Admin+
Admin+

uk.png

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:26 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever 1: Ping Reply with quote

Im not that familiar with shopping for servers but is there a way to identify the best providers? I hate to bring it up again (but I purposefully put this in the admin section) but the kritkast sever has people from all over europe and the UK and the max ping (apart from some Americans) is below 30ms on the in game table with maybe a third of people below 15ms.

My personal ping on that server is 5ms on the in game table and 15ms on net graph 3.

ill take a look at the other servers and post my comparative ping
kLoWn
Admin+
Admin+

uk.png

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:15 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever 1: Ping Reply with quote

the payload server is much much better.

Average ping is 15ms for me.
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:24 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever 1: Ping Reply with quote

Shall we move this to he members section then>? Might get more feedback on it then!??
kLoWn
Admin+
Admin+

uk.png

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:21 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever 1: Ping Reply with quote

sure
MIG
Admin+
Admin+

uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: demo/med
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:17 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever 1: Ping Reply with quote

#1 server i think has started having some issues recently with lag spikes, a few regs/members have also noticed it so its not just me. as mentioned by klown, the latency is a little high for my liking as my pings are around 50-60ms showing on netgraph 1 where i used to get between 20 -25ms on the uk host. I have also noticed drops and choppyness due to the tickrate on #1 which is locked to 66 on any servers now since an update whenever it was, the server tickrate even dropped to something like 30/s, ive got my cfg. autoexec configured to  

cl_cmdrate 100
cl_interp 0.0400
cl_interp_ratio 0
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 100
rate 60000
viewmodel_fov 70
fov_desired 90
this configuration has been working A ok for me for a while, as ive obviously tweaked it here and there to find the best config that im happy with and it works  Smile. maybe we should move #1 over to the payload server unless the problems can be dealt with of course  Rolling Eyes
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:17 am Post subject: No icon Re: Sever 1: Ping Reply with quote

Yeah lets get some members opinions.

MIG, I agree with everything you said but I'm a little confused what you mean about the tickrate. Are you saying the tickrate on the #1 drops to 30/s? If that's correct it would explain a lot of the additional choppiness.

Those are some sweet rates in your config, I can't get my upload and download rates anywhere near that with my internet connection right now Sad
aerynsun
Admin+
Admin+

votes: 8
blank.png

Favourite TF2 Class: med/eng
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:31 am Post subject: No icon Re: Sever 1: Ping Reply with quote

i have had problems with lags on #1 too and my pings are higher than they used to be, but not as high as others.  if think if it isnt too much trouble we should look at finding one with a lower ping, also bearing in mind that what works for some people may not work for others. it may fix some peoples problems and create problems for others that werent there before.  i am all for finding the best outcome for everyone.
Forum Rules
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:26 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever 1: Ping Reply with quote

I've Moved this thread! so we can get all regs and members feedback, on moving servers!

Im all up for swapping #1 with the current! 10 slot server which says TEST?. It! is hosted in the uk and it is a good host "gameservers.com" As mentioned some did have routing issues about a year ago now but it may have been fixed, so please all jump on & ping test it as much as possible.

I can put the slots back to 24 slot and make a clone of the #1 server with TEST within the host name so you all know to test it and we can then decide from there. if it fails/turns out its that bad "which  IMO it should be ok" We can then look further into another host later down the line.

It is a good server and ping for me at all times as i have it pinged and an icon on my desktop of all servers and its by far the best for me  Wink ..
MIG
Admin+
Admin+

uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: demo/med
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:26 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever : Ping / Best server to keep discussion - Feedback Reply with quote

only recently noticed tickrate on #1 dropping to like 30/s few times and it fluctuates between 66 and 50 sometimes hence the choppiness/lag, could be server/host issues?? im not clued up alot about all these configs etc etc just started learning about them lol. tried other servers and it shows on net_graph 1 fine.
aerynsun
Admin+
Admin+

votes: 8
blank.png

Favourite TF2 Class: med/eng
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:37 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever : Ping / Best server to keep discussion - Feedback Reply with quote

well we tried the new server tonight and decided that it must have been moved  next door to at least 3 people as their pings were so low.......comments so far are all positive and only one person seemed to have higher pings and only by about ten.  well done mig for starting on the test sever tonight so we joined on you  Very Happy  Very Happy worth looking into again
Schaap
Admin+
Admin+

netherlands.png

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:43 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever : Ping / Best server to keep discussion - Feedback Reply with quote

Pings / gameplay were fine for me. Though our #1 seems to be ok for me also, I didn't see anything wrong with the performance of this server / network route today.

ISP: Ziggo.

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Isaac Asimov
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:05 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Sever : Ping / Best server to keep discussion - Feedback Reply with quote

Well I've only been able to try the Test server with 3 other players on but the pings looked great. However why is the 'cmdrate' capped at 50/s and the 'rate' capped at 30000B/s?

Edit : Ok so I've on the Test server while it was full. The pings all remained very good and according to hlstats the tickrate never dropped, in fact it went up closer to 70 as the server got busier, compared to the current #1 which shows the tickrate dropping while under load.
However I'm experiencing some pretty bad choke and that's with my 'cmdrate' capped (50 or 51) lower than I usually have it and I even lowered my 'updaterate' to just 34/s to help. My internet connection is slightly below average though so we can't assume others have will have the same problems, however I don't get those issues on other UK servers. I've not tweaked my rates in a while so I have forgotten the impact that the 'Rate' (host receive Bytes/s) has however I imagine it can't help as it's capped at a low figure.

Can anyone else give us some input into their choke/rates/lag while playing the game?
Forum Rules
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2 ->  Servers All times are UTC [DST enabled]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: