Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Maps request Servers Kaibz 53 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 pm
DaV View latest post
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 23 Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:19 pm
DaV View latest post
Hello Everybody Introductions vuaerom 7 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:44 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
Choo-Choo-Choose Me! Apply to join THG Regs JoePinball 6 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
#1 Server Stability Issue Team Fortress 2 TheKnigget 1 Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm
DaV View latest post
Ban Appeal Banned? Sophie_Hatter 4 Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm
DaV View latest post
Blame it on the Boom Boom Team Fortress 2 Shadow_Samurai 4 Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Shadow_Samurai View latest post
#2 Steam group chat Team Fortress 2 asmila 1 Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 pm
asmila View latest post

MOTD

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Precizion
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 5
blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 pm Post subject: No icon MOTD Reply with quote

Is that a new plugin that's been put on that stops you closing the motd for 5 seconds? If so, while I can understand giving it a try since it probably helps pay for the server, it is pretty damn annoying and has been generating a fair few complaints already. Could also see it being one of those things that actually turns people away from the server, which isn't great.
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 11
uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:29 pm Post subject: No icon Re: MOTD Reply with quote

Think this is what has happened

This was done because impressions weren't 'counting' if players clicked continue too fast so the ad company has made it so you have to wait 5 secs

(which seems abit strange as i would have thought this would count towards malicious code)

There is quite a bit in the steam forums about it and it seems a lot of users are also blacklisting servers that use it.

I could be wrong Smile
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 10
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 am Post subject: No icon Re: MOTD Reply with quote

They are editing it "The plugin involved" but it is suppose to have new settings so we can adjust it as they are changing the way it works :< which sucks as u now have to watch at least 60% of a add/video :<> WTF! lol...

So yeah not sure what to do as the adds does bring in money towards the servers and hosting bits we have :< which would mean we will struggle more at times we don't make our donation etc unless we all watch them more and show them more within the game, or force the time etc...

Hard-one as it will really effect us :<> going by the last few months and the slow donations! we have had to use adds money/balance to cover it so without it  Crying or Very sad

Hard one to be honest  Confused there was a post today saying the plugin has been updated, gonna take a look and disable it for now if i can but we might have to deffo consider it for the 5secs maybe more as other servers will do this too i am sure, as most servers use these adds now as it really does or did help. But now you will need to watch the video more often else we get 0. lol sucks huh

Tough 1! We will all have to debate Wink
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 11
uk.png

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:37 am Post subject: No icon Re: MOTD Reply with quote

I think its fine 5 seconds is not going to kill anyone and as you say so many servers now use the ad thing im sure peeps will get used to it if they don't, and the donations don't come in ether then maybe it will be time to stop having servers Sad
Precizion
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 5
blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 pm Post subject: No icon Re: MOTD Reply with quote

If the ads no longer bring in money without it and donations are drying up, then you're right, it is a real tough one. Because without either, the server is in trouble, and yet if it's left as it is it could end up turning people away and the server is in trouble in another way (and it's already lost a lot of what it was compared to the older days. It's pretty much never used during the day anymore, even on weekends which was unheard of before).

You do have to wonder if this move by them will be counter productive though. Forcing this will just make more people turn html ads off. But I guess if the impressions weren't counting for people quickly closing it, they don't have much to lose by trying it.

Let's just hope someone comes up with a fix or a better compromise.
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 10
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:36 pm Post subject: No icon Re: MOTD Reply with quote

Yeah lets just see how it goes but the 5 secs seems like its a must just to count them proper atm, maybe we can set it to 3 now not sure going to take a look at the source and cfg now ;)

Quote:
It's pretty much never used during the day anymore, even on weekends which was unheard of before).

Servers just need some binksy love LOL ill be back on it asap been so busy with other jobs taking all my time and evenings either out or looking into fixing whats needed here Wink or just shattered lol

Servers have done well over the years and many have gone or are as slow as we are now, but we must still hang in there as the game its self is no where near the end  Shocked

The adds are a bitch but we will have to just see how they go, from what i read we will most likely get nothing making it not worth even having the plugin installed, which i will mention to them if its the case lets see how it goes. ATM the 5sec motd wait is or should be disabled.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  Team Fortress 2 All times are UTC [DST enabled]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: