Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
pl_vigil_rc7 Duck Hunt Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 0 Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:47 pm
Fareseed View latest post
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 40 Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:20 pm
Secret Hitler, 19th Jan at 8pm Any Game! Heimerdinger 4 Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:00 am
aerynsun View latest post
Critvote on the fun server Servers asmila 5 Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:34 pm
olshi View latest post
Mods that should be allowed in servers Team Fortress 2 donull 2 Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:44 pm
BigT_ View latest post
Hello Introductions Gilly 5 Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:32 pm
Reg Application Apply to join THG Regs Gilly 3 Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:33 am
Gilly View latest post
Cap on Pyro Servers Gilly 2 Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:35 am
aerynsun View latest post

My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Hardware & Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krak
Admin+
Admin+

votes: 3
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Engie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:57 pm Post subject: No icon My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

Bow before its (soon to be created) awesomeness!

AMD System (Brand New Bulldozer FX-8150 CPU Release Date 12/10/11 equiv to top of the line intel i7 system)

top of the range AMD 990FX (AM3+) Motherboard
motherboard supports
Supports all AM3 and AM3+ processors including upcoming AMD FX (Bulldozer)
supports upto 32GB Ram/Memory
Supports Both ATI Crossfire and Nvidia SLi
Gigabit LAN
SLI/Crossfire with 2x pcie at 16x on both
USB 3 support

Memory
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (1866mhz) Version  

Harddrive:
1TB Samsung spinpoint F3

AMD HD6950 (Full 2GB version) not cheaper 1GB version (these cards are moddable to 6970 specs with simple bios flash)

Cost
Private and confidential Smile
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 7
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Engineer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:24 pm Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

Personally I'd go with Intel but that's because I understand the transistor redesign that they've done for Ivy Bridge CPUs which will launch next April. However for price for performance I guess you can't really go wrong with a bulldozer, they're so damn cheap for that many cores.

Ram- perfect choice
HDD - go for 2TB instead, 1TB isn't that much these days. Also make sure it's got at least 32MB cache
GPU - make sure you go for a one with decent cooling, a big factory overclock and one which you know can be unlocked. As there is a fair performance difference between the 6950 and 6970.
Additionally the next Nvidia and ATI cards should be coming out the end of this year or start of next year. So if you can wait 2 or 3 months for graphics you might be able to get your hands on something a wee bit faster, although if you're desperate for an upgrade just go for it and sell when new cards come out :P

Soo many people upgrading atm...I think BF3 is to blame for at least half of them Razz
AraS
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 13
ireland.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Sniper
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:41 pm Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

u forgot power supply , other then that i guess its all good also not all 6950 are flashable anymore to 6970 only few if you want a guaranty that card flashes to 6970 is sapphire 6950 TOXIC, but it is no point getting it because its more expensive then 6970 for example asus 6970 cheaper then 6950 toxic , so just buy 6970 and avoid the hassle as even 6970 cheaper then 6950 not sure why .

as per topher says i disagree new ati/amd cards got pushed back to 2012 q1 and new nvidia cards coming out 2012 q2/q3.

also don't forget the cooler i assume u have a case already
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 11
uk.png

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:49 pm Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

also a ssd drive Smile  once you have one you wont look back Smile
DaV
Community Admin
Community Admin
I Donated this last month :)

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:54 pm Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

carlos wrote (View Post):
also a ssd drive Smile  once you have one you wont look back Smile

I'd second that. I've had my Intel SSD for almost 2 years now and it's one of the best purchases I've made for my PC. That, and buying my new PC  :P

I'd be interested to know how much that system is costing you Krak. I don't think the prices of the 2600K have dropped much since I bought it, although the GTX580 price has came down a little.
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
Krak
Admin+
Admin+

uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:59 am Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

System in total will be £820ish depending on the cost of the bulldog.

It includes a new case (thermaltek overseer) and reusing my old gfx card for physx and my old corsair psu  as it's still awesome.

It's being built for me as I don't know enough to do it myself...
AraS
Server Admin
Server Admin

ireland.png

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:47 am Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

scrap the old card or sell it , physics overrated your gpu will only use power even if you not playing physics game , also there no physics good coming out only new batman city , battlefield uses cpu for destructibility
AraS
Server Admin
Server Admin

ireland.png

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:11 pm Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

just heads up , there not so good new floating around about bulldozer so just wait till final benches.  Confused
AraS
Server Admin
Server Admin

ireland.png

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:03 am Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

dont get buldozer apparently it is crap reviews out today
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 7
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Engineer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:10 pm Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

Indeed, although windows updates released in the future will help bulldozer slightly, it's not so good. Pay more and getting less than an i5-2500k (not overclocked) in pretty much every game benchmark.

I'd either get an i5 2500k or wait for ivy bridge which is next April. There is still a little uncertainty but most info says that Ivy bridge will still support the current sandy bridge chipsets (z68 in particular) however if you're certain you'll want an ivy bridge then you might want to wait for more confirmation (I doubt you'll want to upgrade that quick if you got a i5-2500k anyways, they're quick and overclockable).

We do know for sure that it's still going to be 1155 slot type but you'll probably just be restricted to PCIe 2 instead of PCIe 3 which ivy bridge will support (however this would make no difference to your existing graphics card anyway).
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
Krak
Admin+
Admin+

uk.png

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:20 pm Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went for the i5 250k as the bulldozer just didnt come up to my expectations. Much as id like to wait till next year my current pc has some critical problems on it now so i went ahead and ordered the new rig Smile
Krak
Admin+
Admin+

uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:12 pm Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

New system arrives Friday night..... so very excited Smile
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 10
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:34 pm Post subject: No icon Re: My new proposed system - Feedback appreciated Smile Reply with quote

Nice so you will be giving it some hard gaming time Friday evening Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  Hardware & Software All times are UTC
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: