Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
We have a artist on the server Team Fortress 2 olshi 40 Sun May 24, 2020 1:41 pm
zapo View latest post
Hello there Introductions esemesas 6 Tue May 19, 2020 9:15 am
the_steel_rat1 View latest post
another hidden talent on the server Team Fortress 2 aerynsun 1 Sun May 10, 2020 10:31 am
the_steel_rat1 View latest post
Hey Hey Introductions Rayman 5 Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:22 am
Derfy View latest post
You were good son, real good, maybe even the best... Team Fortress 2 Gilly 1 Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:56 pm
aerynsun View latest post
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 47 Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:04 pm
Fareseed View latest post
pl_vigil_rc7 Duck Hunt Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 0 Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:47 pm
Fareseed View latest post
Secret Hitler, 19th Jan at 8pm Any Game! Heimerdinger 4 Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:00 am
aerynsun View latest post

Custom maps #3 UPDATED PLEASE READ !!!

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2 -> Servers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 11
uk.png

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:34 pm Post subject: Idea Custom maps #3 UPDATED PLEASE READ !!! Reply with quote

Here is just an IDEA of custom maps that could go on #3 as it does not get used much.
..................................................................................................
cp_canyonfodder_b7

a 3 stage map, nothing fancy. centre piece is a large radio antenna, inspired by the ones dotted about in just cause2

cp_millstone_b6

This is a gravelpit-style (must cap 2 (A and B) first to unlock C and then cap that to win.

................................................................................

cp_Lushbowl

In order to get better at mapping and learn some things, I decided to start off by taking a pre-existing map made by Valve (Dustbowl) and applying textures, details, props, sound and weather while studying Valve's geometry and optimization work already in place. My first big project was to create a "theme" for Dustbowl; ripping it from the desert and plopping it down into the middle of a forest. This means bricks turned to cobble, metal turned to wood, gravel and dirt turned to grass and mud.

THIS IS A "THEME" OF DUSTBOWL; retextured, water added, props added, weather added.

All particles are tied to "weather", so disabling weather will disable all particles present in the map.

................................................................................................

cp_spurn_point_beta

What happens when you try to sew over 2000 displacements together?

Spurn point is a unique 3-stage dynamic capture point map. There are 2 paths to be taken to win the map for the attackers. Which is played is decided by the final capture point of Stage 1, which sets the path for the rest of the map.

There are two stage 2 arenas, The lighthouse and The caves, each favouring different styles and tactics of gameplay.

Stage 3 is also dynamic, the capture points and the attack switching to accomodate the path of approach into the final arena.

This beta is fully functional (I believe/hope) and only visual bugs and tweaks remain. Need to gather information on balancing of teams, items etc

.........................................................................................
cp_gullywash_final

Map takes place in a desert-beach like enviroment, where blu and red compete over the only source of water.

The idea behind the strange cappoints is to provide a different experience to the player, making strategic choices when approaching and capping a point, instead of the standard flat surface all standard 5cp-maps consist of. Middle point is rounded and has 2 different levels of height from which players can cap, it's important to take control of the top but you lose the advantage of having healthkits nearby. Point 2/4 also has 2 different levels from which you can cap but the catch is that the player capping on top can't jump while capping. if you do jump you will no longer be capping/blocking the point. Having a height advantage but at the cost of mobility will make you think twice. Final cp has a waterway behind and beneath the point, since the last cp caps quite fast you'll be sure to keep an eye on the only entrance to water that is located to the right.

The map as a whole is considerably smaller than any other 5cp map, mainly because the points are layed out in a unique way (triangle). This allows for fast paced and constant action. It also allows slower classes to spend less time walking around without any action.

The map has undergone massive changes during it's lifetime and this will be the first version to be officially released publically, even if you played earlier version i urge you to check this one out since some changes are quite significant. (biggest complaint in last iteration was the slow capping of cp2 which has now been set to the same time it takes to cap badlands spire, same goes for mid)

.........................................................................................
cp_obscure_final

a fast paced map yet at the same time a ’slow-down’ period on certain points (for example badlands getting to cp3 on the start of the round, to cp4 then when you attack cp5 your team halts (usually) and re-groups to decide which way to attack, sort of a fast-fast-slow paced structure).

cp_Castle4

An original attack & defend map that is set in an epic castle.

The map pack for this week is now available for download HERE

PLEASE DOWNLOAD SO YOU DON'T GET ISSUES WHEN CONNECTING TO #3 AND THE MAP GET CHANGED TO A CUSTOM Smile

Last edited by carlos on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:32 am; edited 9 times in total
Lost
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 3
blank.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Sniper
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:36 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps starting next friday #3 Reply with quote

I hope some of the maps get to #1! Smile
AraS
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 13
ireland.png

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:03 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps starting next friday #3 Reply with quote

Lost wrote (View Post):

they will not thats why there is server 3
Lost
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 3
blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:39 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps starting next friday #3 Reply with quote

AraS wrote (View Post):
Lost wrote (View Post):

they will not thats why there is server 3

"We will start by adding 4 custom maps and building these up each week, in time we will see which maps get played the most from the custom ones which then if it becomes popular, then it may get moved to the #1 nominate menu"
Hesitater
Admin+
Admin+

votes: 8
hungary.png

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:43 am Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps starting next friday #3 Reply with quote

I'd recommend cp_gullywash and cp_obscure too. They are quite popular amongst custom maps and I see a good chance of them making into the list of regularly played maps. Their biggest advantage is that they are tested and get played on a lot.

Don't get me wrong here, I like a bit of change. But I think what most would prefer is new maps which are easy to navigate in and provide great gameplay. Most of the customs that look great on pictures are a nightmare to play on. Sure, nice scenery and props but these will fade out soon and most of the players will go: hang on a minute, where the f*ck am I? Lots of unreasonable kills and deaths happen, and all that stuff. frustration.

Having said that I welcome the idea of custom maps. All I'm saying is be careful what we choose.
---------------------------------------------------------
I am a wicked child.

Last edited by Hesitater on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:54 am Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps starting next friday #3 Reply with quote

Totally agree with you hesi and i will add your 2 recommendations now to my post thanks :)

I remember the custom map Sundays we used to hold, out of the 10 custom maps only 1 was any good  Sad

Last edited by carlos on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 10
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:32 am Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps starting next friday #3 Reply with quote

I think 5 maps is plenty to test.. i also asked to get the popular maps along with 1 new 1 or something to make sure it does fairly well. we won't be adding 100 maps to our ftp.

carlos who's paying for the gift drops etc i have said nothing about this and we have not got the funds currently to spend on this ;/

but yeah this is a custom map trial to see how they go we can not just add a bunch of maps 5 is the limit and we can not add more than 1gb total :< maybe more time will tell lets hope this goes well as already i can see it going pear shaped with the amount of maps and this gift droping thing/idea  Rolling Eyes

Probable be best picking the maps and not asking! as it can not be abused and not many maps will be uploaded in 1 go to save my bandwith or slates bandwith and the ftp bandwith. slowly is the way forward...  Wink
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:10 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps starting next friday #3 Reply with quote

Quote:
carlos who's paying for the gift drops etc i have said nothing about this and we have not got the funds currently to spend on this ;/

I will if i have to (i didn't expect it for one moment to come out of the donations) it was just an idea of how others could get involved in helping populate #3 ie ie prizes for the stats,

they were more of ideas and not set in stone!

6 maps and the 7th i put there for mcchu Smile but your the one who has to put them on i really don't mind if you only put 1 on there,

i have now edited my first post to make it look like just an idea.
Precizion
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 5
blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:10 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps starting next friday #3 Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about trying to populate #3 too much. It's fine having a custom map night once a week, which I'm sure people will turn up for if there's enough notice, but trying to keep it properly busy would be a losing battle. We've tried it enough times in the past, and the community just can't seem to support two servers running full together, at least without a real drop in quality of gameplay on both, which is what makes THG special in the first place and worth playing on over others. Plus there's already been a drop in that quality of late, what with all the recent problems and a lot of the regs disappearing, so we don't want to make things even worse.

Now that #1 seems to be running good again, I'd even suggest dropping #3 once its subs run out. Just use it for the moment for some good custom map testing, and then perhaps if any of them are real good, perhaps put one or two on #1 when you finally let the server go.

On the actual subject of maps - looking forward to testing Gullywash. Heard some good things about that and since it gets played a lot, has probably been properly play tested (still amazes me that maps like Coldfront get picked up with such glaring and easily fixable faults). Would suggest dropping Lushbowl though if you have too many maps. Even though it looks good, it's still the same old Dustbowl with the same old gameplay that we all know inside out.
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 10
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:14 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps starting next friday #3 Reply with quote

Hehe Carlos! well we might have the funds for something like this down the line as it builds up but atm I have to pay so many bills out of so little money. This next mth we have to renew our domain for another 3 years so that's going to be around £25 at least I hope its about that.

The OIM Sponsor money will cover that this mth but it won't need renewing until another 3 years after that so I can try to build our budget/overs up for something like "gift drops" or other gifts in the near future we 1st have to get another FTP or debate it as our current 1 is not 100% it works but has issues at times as the website does to as you must all have seen occasionally it will take mins to display or won't this will be the same for the ftp meaning at some points the server will say that the map differs or that it can not dl it.

This can be fixed by getting us a new FTP that hosts nothing but the maps etc. Which ofc is more money but I will sort it all out and I am sure we can cover it all with the extras we know get from the OIM sponsor with the ads.

This next custom event we have a proper FTP to test which is supplied to us by gameserver.com and has a 100mbit connection for very fast downloading if this proves to work good we can keep it it costs around £3 a mth extra but as mentioned above the extra money we get will help cover these extra things we need Smile our donation goal might have to be tweaked a little bit but for now #3 is paid for until another 2mths+ after that our goal will go up a little bit to make sure we can cover all the goodies and servers we have :P

EDIT: yeah precizion that's the plan test and see who is interested and what maps are good and then slowly add 1 or 2 to #1 Smile I am working on a method so we can use them on #1 at peek times with no issues at least I hope and hopefully this time around it will workout as we have been here before 2x and not worked out as good as people think/hope needs us all to make things like this work...
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:27 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps starting next friday #3 Reply with quote

No worryz these are all just ideas Smile

And above are my choices of maps i would like to have a go on:) but im happy if they get changed or not put in at all.
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:29 am Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps #3 Reply with quote

The map pack for this week is now available for download HERE

PLEASE DOWNLOAD SO YOU DON'T GET ISSUES WHEN CONNECTING TO #3 AND THE MAP GET CHANGED TO A CUSTOM Smile
GatesMcTaste
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:31 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Custom maps #3 UPDATED PLEASE READ !!! Reply with quote

gullywash and obscure are loads of fun, castle for me has always been a bit of a mess but sometimes entertaining, i've been really really wanting to give lushbowl a go.  For the future i'll put cp_follower and cp_snakewater_rc3 as they're pretty good maps too.

good to see some of the old and new custom maps being played on THG.
---------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2 ->  Servers All times are UTC [DST enabled]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: