Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Mods that should be allowed in servers Team Fortress 2 donull 2 Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:44 pm
BigT_ View latest post
Hello Introductions Gilly 5 Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:32 pm
Fareseed View latest post
Reg Application Apply to join THG Regs Gilly 3 Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:33 am
Gilly View latest post
Cap on Pyro Servers Gilly 2 Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:35 am
aerynsun View latest post
Boris this is my Flame thrower Funny Stuff the_steel_rat1 4 Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:40 am
Derfy View latest post
Steam Market Crash Team Fortress 2 Fnif 2 Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:39 am
Derfy View latest post
retro stuff Any Game! aerynsun 3 Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:26 pm
DaV View latest post
A simple request General Chat Fareseed 1 Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:48 pm
aerynsun View latest post

For the money everything costs to keep running
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 11
uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:29 am Post subject: Cool For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

For the money everything costs to keep running here would it not be worth thinking about a

Fully-managed dedicated game server

which for the price of what is being spent now you could be running more servers or at least 2 for yourself s and rent the other 3 out

Also you can have your slots of vent or rent them aswell
It may also solve the problems with the pings and issues i know it is abit more work but then it may also bring down the running costs in the long run

well just a thought!  Smile
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

votes: 34
blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:27 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

Interesting. I'd like to hear more about this.
---------------------------------------------------------
Is bungle the same as juggle?
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 10
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:35 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

Yeh we have thought about this before and still do. But you have to think it takes allot of time and effort to establish a populated server/ip and that's what we have now with server 1 and 2. No3 is not to sharp either "meaning popular" and I very much doubt it has anything to do with the ping/routing issues some get since its been there from day 1 at random times other than that they are perfectly good servers to start again would also be a risk of our community and populating a new ip etc..

If we had more donations we could look to sack #3 and vent which only adds up to around £20 ish then we could consider a dedicated server hoping our funds still meet there goal then it wouldn't be so bad = more servers maybe more games not just tf2 etc makes sense but doesn't make sense losing the 2 populated servers we have know  Razz

Thought of it many times the only way we could do this is save the money/funds and ask for more than we currently need to spend each mth atm being around £60 so ask for £90 or lose #3 "temp" and ask for £80 and save the difference till we have enough. When we then have enough for 3-6mth dedicated server then it would be possible Smile could try it out and ask for more money now to start saving  Idea
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:40 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

yep i totally agree with #1 no way to take the ip with you so it isn't even worth the thought of losing !!!!!

but its worth a thought on the long run savings that could be made on the other 2 and maybe the sales of say 2 servers keeping the extra for thg

and again with saving now for 3-4 months up front will also give a 30%-35% saving,  

and thats why i said fully managed because it is alot of time and effort on anything less:)

anyways worth a think about or maybe even if thg can trial it for 2 months without giving up anything with have now maybe a better option  Shocked

Confused  Smile
frozen_
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 12
libya.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:59 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

on that topic, a question, since aras did say something along those lines on the server once, too: why is it a big problem if the IP of THG gets changed? i mean, they would get updated on this very website, right?
thg members and server regulars could easily retrieve the new IP, and if someone had it in their fav list and went on there from time to time, he could just google for it...that's what i would do.
also, we could have an announcement on the server that the IP is going to get changed in the next time, and to watch out for it. so, is it really that big of a deal, just because of the IP?
Io sono ghiacciato.

In the year of our Lord, Twenty Eleven, you cannot look up from beneath the city and see the stars.
But you can look down from above it. And you can jump.
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 7
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Engineer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:23 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

I like the sound of this idea Binksy, indeed we can't lose our current IPs for #1 & #2 but if we can get enough to at least try out a dedicated server that sounds good. I think that as the #3 is currently unused and low ranking it wouldn't be such a big deal to lose it, and if we can convince enough people to donate then this could work.

If we got it how many games could it host? would we have faaaar more games/IPs than we could ever use?
Indeed branching out into other games would possibly be good for the community.
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:38 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

Then we must get a minecraft server Very Happy
nOOb
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 27
blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:41 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

Quote:

maybe a call of duty black ops server?
or medal of honor ?!
or league of legends?!
or battlefield3 ?!

some cool games!

not
Quote:
minecraft server
 Very Happy
Schaap
Admin+
Admin+

netherlands.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:45 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

SuperTimo wrote (View Post):
Then we must get a minecraft server Very Happy

SssssssssssstBOOM headshot?

Needless to say, I would play on this Minecraft server :)

Also, I don't know what the deal is with the current IP adress but maybe you can forward the old IP to a new server IP for a period (a few weeks should do it) while you plug the new server IP in a shameless fashion.

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Isaac Asimov
carlos
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:02 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

Topher wrote (View Post):
I like the sound of this idea Binksy, indeed we can't lose our current IPs for #1 & #2 but if we can get enough to at least try out a dedicated server that sounds good. I think that as the #3 is currently unused and low ranking it wouldn't be such a big deal to lose it, and if we can convince enough people to donate then this could work.

If we got it how many games could it host? would we have faaaar more games/IPs than we could ever use?

Dell Poweredge Dual-Core
CPU Intel Dual Core Xeon 2.4GHz
4MB Cache (1066fsb)
RAM 2GB DDR2
Hard Disk 160GB SATA (7200rpm)
Bandwidth Unlimited!
Connection 100mbit burstable
Run around 5-7 busy game servers simultaneously

ell Poweredge Quad-Core
CPU Intel Quad Core Xeon 2.4GHz
8MB Cache (1066fsb)
RAM 4GB DDR2
Hard Disk 160GB SATA (7200rpm)
Bandwidth Unlimited!
Connection 100mbit burstable
Run around 7-12 busy game servers simultaneously

plus vent ts or whatever and tc admin for sales as i think it would be agood idea to make some money from this if it was to happen.
 as donations shouldn't be the only thing relied on
And yes the ip is a big deal.  Smile
Forum Rules
aolism
Ancient Poster
Ancient Poster

votes: 3
uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:22 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

I looked into this a while ago, its certainly an option, but you need to get a host with decent routing and systems for gaming. There's a lot of forum posts about hosting games on dedicated servers, and also on the steam user forums on HLDS etc. I think consensus was you can reliably host 1 game per core, a suitably specced server would have at least 4 cores, you may get away with more games. I don't think IP is problem if you were putting THG1 and 2 on it, I just use server browser and sure most do the same, but probably not worth risking moving them initially. Then you'd think of your OS, if you'd want site/stats on it etc...
AMT
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 6
blank.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Medic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:37 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

I don't get all of this but let me see:

for £90 we get:

Server #1
Server #2
Server #3
Vent
1 Dedicated Game Server: in here we can run 5 servers? only TF2? (already answered)

now with £90/monthly, we have to wait for 6 month to do this.

How much a Dedicated Game Server cost in a month.
-------------------------------
I say we go for it. Its nice to try something new for a change. I will try my best with donations.

EDIT: forgot to post this, something were answered.

Last edited by AMT on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
aolism
Ancient Poster
Ancient Poster

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:43 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

I can link the host if anyone wants it:

Quad Core Intel Xeon X3430 i5
Server Type Dell PowerEdge
Monthly Pricing £ 139

Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon i7
Monthly Pricing £ 449

Dual - Hexa Core Intel Xeon i7
Monthly Pricing £ 549

obviously exc VAT.

You can get a 24 player TF2 server from a good uk host for £18
Odyssey
THG Member
THG Member

uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Medic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:02 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

HERE'S MY LITTLE INPUT:

I think that the change of IP could be made insignificant, especially by various announcements a month, a week and the weekend before the switch.

Besides, with the lower pings and other issues we're having right now, this should attract more traffic after a few months of the switch.

I think it's worth it, heck, it could even mean a week or so where THG members could always get into the server when they wanted Razz
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:05 pm Post subject: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Reply with quote

After hearing all this I think it could be worth a try! If not for servers 1 and 2 at first, at least to test in place of #3. But best leave it to those who know this stuff (binksy etc.) Smile
Forum Rules
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  General Chat All times are UTC
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: