Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 6 Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 pm
carlos View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
HLstatsX - Stats Resets!- Last reset 1-11-2017 - Updated. Servers binksy 13 Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:18 am
binksy View latest post
Map to add to the servers. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 9 Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 pm
DaV View latest post
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 14 Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:12 pm
DaV View latest post
Warning about one of the new Jungle Inferno maps. Servers Fareseed 0 Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:52 pm
Fareseed View latest post
Hiya! Introductions TerraTigris 2 Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:00 pm
DaV View latest post
THG REG Apply to join THG Regs YladFrank 4 Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:06 pm
DaV View latest post
NEW TF2 SHORT! [UPDATE NEWS] Team Fortress 2 Fnif 3 Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:47 pm
zzzzzzzzzz View latest post
Votekick/voteban doesn't work? Team Fortress 2 BurritoBazooka 1 Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:03 pm
DaV View latest post

Topher i5 build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Hardware & Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 7
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Engineer
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:35 pm Post subject: No icon Topher i5 build Reply with quote

ok so I decided it was time for a major overhaul of my PC, when I originally built it i built it with a budget, since then upgraded PSU, fan controller and case. Now it's time to do the proper stuff and change out the CPU and mobo.

My recent shopping list is:
intel i5 - 750 (2.66GHz at stock but plan to OC it to about 3.6GHz straight off, however you can easily run it at 4.2GHz on air)
Asus Maximus III Extreme (the best 1156 slot i could find)
Tuniq tower 120 extreme with the 1156 adaptor bracket

If i have time I shall start building it tomorrw evening but I only have 4 hours free between work and sleep each day so I'll probably not get it completely done until sunday, which is when I shall try to get some pics uploaded.
As the new mobo + cpu means I'll have to reinstall my OS, i thought it was a perfect time to set up the partitions in my HDD ready for Dual boot with win7 pro 64 bit which I'll probably buy in a few weeks.

New system worth using current prices - £1400 (including monitor but no software/OS)
However as I've spent a wee bit more than this since i built this computer due to upgrades and making parts redundant.
AraS
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 13
ireland.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Sniper
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:17 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

get parts first post pictures then  Razz , its going to be challenge to get ur 750 to 4,2 ghz you would need better ram ,well if u going with that mobo then it should be alright, also i doubt tower will handle 4.2 ghz maybe if u have 2 good fans push and pull, why not go with corsair h 50 + 2 fans

also why you going for such expensive motherboard and lame cpu , at least get i7 860 <- will be easier to overclock as it has higher multiplier

Last edited by AraS on Tue May 18, 2010 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
druid
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 11
blank.png

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:26 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

you lot really start pissing me off with that asus maximus mobos.. i WANT ONE too Wink
---------------------------------------------------------
Lord Vader finds your lack of competence.. disturbing..
Hesitater
Admin+
Admin+

votes: 8
hungary.png

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:39 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

I also wanted to start getting a new rig. My fave retail has run out of 6 core AMDs, so I thought I wait. But now it looks like our currency is the sh*ttiest on the planet, both the dollar and euro rates has been blown up sky-high, so did the hardware prices. And I don't wanna spend extra hundred euros just for nothing. And also, stores lack of 890Fx mobos. so hesi is sad.
I am a wicked child.
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:08 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

AraS wrote (View Post):
get parts first post pictures then  Razz , its going to be challenge to get ur 750 to 4,2 ghz you would need better ram ,well if u going with that mobo then it should be alright, also i doubt tower will handle 4.2 ghz maybe if u have 2 good fans push and pull, why not go with corsair h 50 + 2 fans

also why you going for such expensive motherboard and lame cpu , at least get i7 860 <- will be easier to overclock as it has higher multiplier

trust me, it's possible Aras, few thousand people over tinternets have managaged it, and i have a lot better mobo + case cooling that they do. However as it happens I dout I'll ever take it past 4GHz, and will only probably only take it to that for benchmarks. Ya like you said to run stable with a good ratio @ 4GHz it be best with 1600Mhz ram or higher. however we will see, will probably get that next month, or in 2 weeks if i get bored Wink
Ya the tuniq tower ain't the best, but it's do me, like I said in your thread the only thing that put me off buying the h50 was a few reports of it having a hum coming from the pump, i like a silent pc Wink  however if you find your is inaudible i could be tempted to sell my cooler and get one of those.

i5-750 is a nice little cpu if you do the research Razz infact it easily beats the i7-870 in a handful of games which have been used as benchmarks (even at stock freq), it's only beat by the 870 when it comes to file conversion, synthetic benchmarks, etc and that'll mainly be due to the hyperthreading. That's comparing it to the 870, the 860 would be 'even' further behind in games...
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
nOOb
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 27
blank.png

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:15 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

real man buys i7 extreme
why?
bcs real men have 1020 dollars + taxes to spend on cpu!

unfortunately, i can't even affor a not-775 mobo
soo
good one o'holy nerd!

ps edit. ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe has the exact same specs with that extreme of yours and it's like 200 dollars cheaper,or i am totally missing something.
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:19 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

firstly, no, that mobo is rather a lot different not only when you look closely but basic things like multi GPU support, the ASUS P7P55D-E is crossfire ready only (but I'm an Nvidia freak remember).

I was tempted by an i7-930, but after i got my sight on my mobo i couldn't go for anything else Sad if I'd spent an extra £100 I'd probably have wanted to spend £100 less on the mobo, which is lot less really as a good X58 chipset mobo isn't cheap, to get the the ASUS rampage III mobo with the X58 chipset I'd be paying £330 when i came out (it's not available yet) and even then it's still on series down from the mobo I have now...
So simply put I wanted to spent a bit less and get it now, hence i5 OCed with this mobo
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:40 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

ok, so here come some pics, finished build for now, may tidy it more when i have time, still don't tonight as at work again tomorrow (yes i know it's saturday tomorrow :(

Would look even better in a new case, something like the Antec 902 or 1200, something with a nice matt black inside, but I CBA to wait this one atm and don't want a new one as this is fine.
Shame it doesn't have a few more cable management holes though (think I'll make one at some point) as I still have to trail my 12v mobo connector up the front of the case instead of around the back

Very easy CPU cooler to install, very effective, slightly louder than I'd have hoped but I've be changing out the PSU fan soon anways as it's not PWM which is what I'd like. Also the thermal paste it came with is bloodly awful, it's more like putty, impossible to spread, so I just stuck some Artic silver V on there instead, not quite as good as the TX3 stuff it came with but much easier to work with ;)

currently havn't formatted and reinstalled, I've just patched my OS to run on a new chipset + CPU and seems stable, so gonna stay like this for now and see how it runs...

new CPU seems pretty sweet, V easy to OC with this mobo, gonna let my thermal paste settle some before i try really pushing it though....
AraS
Server Admin
Server Admin

ireland.png

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:46 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

how can it be louder the cooler does not have any fans  :?

oh it has one inside of it  Razz
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

votes: 34
blank.png

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:58 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

Looks good Smile But I guess you don't have a dog? Sad
Is bungle the same as juggle?
Forum Rules
Hesitater
Admin+
Admin+

votes: 8
hungary.png

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:15 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

That cooler is embarrassingly tall.
I am a wicked child.
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

indeed it is rather large, but it's keeping my CPU nice and cool at 28c idle, 40c average when gaming and 46c when running synthetic tests like prime95. All with it OCed to 3.6Ghz. oh and I've got the CPU fan at about half speed...
AraS
Server Admin
Server Admin

ireland.png

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:57 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

Topher wrote (View Post):
indeed it is rather large, but it's keeping my CPU nice and cool at 28c idle, 40c average when gaming and 46c when running synthetic tests like prime95. All with it OCed to 3.6Ghz. oh and I've got the CPU fan at about half speed...

told u to go with h 50 u did not listen and its absolute quiet , 3.6 is for girls topher crank it up 4 ghz  Twisted Evil
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

votes: 34
blank.png

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:21 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

I smell competition in the air...  Razz
Is bungle the same as juggle?
nOOb
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 27
blank.png

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:39 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Topher i5 build Reply with quote

researches indicate that, if you run your CPU fan on max or min, difference is 5c degrees AT MAX!
so only a noob will run his cpu's fan at not-minimum.

YOU FAIL!  Laughing
Forum Rules
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  Hardware & Software All times are UTC
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: