Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Hello Everybody Introductions vuaerom 4 Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:50 am
kLoWn View latest post
#2 Steam group chat Team Fortress 2 asmila 0 Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:19 pm
asmila View latest post
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 17 Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:41 pm
DaV View latest post
Bits of More bits Team Fortress 2 suski 2 Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:30 pm
DaV View latest post
[old] TriggerHappyGamers [HL] 9v9 Match! Friday June 1st Matches & Events MIG 12 Tue May 29, 2018 12:45 pm
MIG View latest post
Secret Hitler! 8PM BST on the 26th of May. Any Game! Heimerdinger 0 Wed May 23, 2018 8:00 pm
Well.... Dav did ask... has anyone got a replay of that.... Team Fortress 2 Haytch 4 Sun May 20, 2018 9:16 pm
[HL] THG Friday June 1st @ (19:30pm bst/uk) (20:30 cest) Matches & Events MIG 0 Thu May 17, 2018 9:33 pm
MIG View latest post

damn you windows update!!

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Hardware & Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 7
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Engineer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:34 pm Post subject: No icon damn you windows update!! Reply with quote

OK so yesterday i gave into windows constantly reminding me i had a huge list of updates wating to download, I havn't let it download any in over 6 months as I'd got my PC really nice and stable and it hadn't crashed since the last time I ran windows update. So yeah, ran update, selected the 60 most important looking patches, and suprise suprise they f****ed up my PC, I tried to run tf2 earlier today and noticed a lot of lag, and even lower fps than usual. Soon after i got the BSOD with the usual driver problem (something i havn't had since i last ran windows updates)

second problem is that since my system restore has always been f***ed I can't go back, and as i dont know the exact codes/names of each update i can't simply remove them all in 'add and remove software'.

Luckily i was just planning on building a new rig very soon anyways. But this has pushed me over the edge, if it wasn't for compatibility and user friendlyness I'd have 'fully' converted to linux ages ago. F*** you microshaft!!!

So I'm gonna be trying to work on removing these updates or simply patching further to get stable again. I will also be building a new gaming rig sometime soon hopefully i just need to finish sourcing £800 for it, so i might wait until i hear about another part time job later this week. So for this week i 'might' not be around as much as usual...we will see, but before long I'll be back with nice new system :P

edit : ok so I've only just realised that in windows 'add and remove software' it has a time stamp for all windows patches, allowing me to scroll through and remove them a few at a time until i get my stable PC back again...but I'll still be getting that new PC before long...
slate
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 11
germany.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Soldier
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:42 pm Post subject: No icon Re: damn you windows update!! Reply with quote

maybe you should get yourself some imaging software, so you can backup your system before trying to update or intall anything fancy.

at work we use "Acronis True Image".
Sanchez
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

finland.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Sc00t
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:27 pm Post subject: No icon Re: damn you windows update!! Reply with quote

I have Vista and it crashes every 2 days, unless I don't shut it off and it also has a bad habit of BSOD:ing every now and then.
Even more annoying is that it works perfectly normally after the crashes/BSOD:s.
Thank god it hasn't affected TF2 in any way, yet...
I rarely install the updates my Windows keeps whining off, and now I have a good reason to continue doing so  Wink
nOOb
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 27
blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:43 pm Post subject: No icon Re: damn you windows update!! Reply with quote

you know why they made windows 7 this fast??

you need help to answer?
here's a free tip for ya;
BECOUSE VISTA SUCKS!

use XP, wait for seven to become stable, jump to seven, profit!
skip vista..just like every human being who has a brain in their skull did to windows 2000/me ^^
fail os is fail ^^

or have fun with your crushes  Very Happy

-nOOb
Draken
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

votes: 9
portugal.png

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:38 pm Post subject: No icon Re: damn you windows update!! Reply with quote

Windows 7 is already more than stable.
---------------------------------------------------------
Meet the Members™, by SuperTimo.
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:38 pm Post subject: No icon Re: damn you windows update!! Reply with quote

update : removed a few of the updates windows put on my computer, lets see how it  runs now.

Slate, I think I like the sounds of that. I might get that when i build my new rig!!

Sanchez, yep, that's vistaaaar for ya :P

Noob, Indeed i like the sound of win7, But alas new rig will still have to be win xp, cos although win 7 is nice and stable/fast it simply isn't compatible enough for me (even in winxp and 32bit mode). I have too much old software i still want to/need to run, and I could never risk my Sound card not working (as this is worth more than the CPU and GPU in my new rig) and i have heard to many problems todo with sound card drivers for this OS.

But I will swap to win 7 eventually, or when i build then 'next' PC, probably in another year or two if intel keeps to their schedule...
slate
Community Admin
Community Admin

germany.png

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:54 pm Post subject: No icon Re: damn you windows update!! Reply with quote

nOOb wrote (View Post):
you know why they made windows 7 this fast??

skip vista..just like every human being who has a brain in their skull did to windows 2000/me ^^
fail os is fail ^^
-nOOb

ME was fail, thats true. Windows 2000 was made of awsome though(for its time).
Franky
Forum Resident
Forum Resident

votes: 1
austria.png

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:09 am Post subject: No icon Re: damn you windows update!! Reply with quote

i dont give a shit, will jump to 7 mby in 1/2 year..
Topher
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:58 pm Post subject: No icon Re: damn you windows update!! Reply with quote

OK, so the windows updates i got rid of must have removed the instability!!
But sod that, i still wanted a new rig, so I went ahead and ordered some hardware today Razz

Goto the gaming rig thread for the spec.
druid
Community Admin
Community Admin

blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:44 pm Post subject: No icon Re: damn you windows update!! Reply with quote

windows ME was The greatest failure of MS so far imho.. we made so much money as tech support for it Very Happy
Lord Vader finds your lack of competence.. disturbing..
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  Hardware & Software All times are UTC [DST enabled]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: