For the money everything costs to keep running
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Triggerhappygamers.com -> General Chat

#1: Cool For the money everything costs to keep running Author: carlos PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:29 pm
    —
For the money everything costs to keep running here would it not be worth thinking about a

Fully-managed dedicated game server

which for the price of what is being spent now you could be running more servers or at least 2 for yourself s and rent the other 3 out

Also you can have your slots of vent or rent them aswell
It may also solve the problems with the pings and issues i know it is abit more work but then it may also bring down the running costs in the long run

well just a thought!  Smile

#2: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: SuperTimo PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:27 pm
    —
Interesting. I'd like to hear more about this.

#3: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: binksyLocation: UK PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:35 pm
    —
Yeh we have thought about this before and still do. But you have to think it takes allot of time and effort to establish a populated server/ip and that's what we have now with server 1 and 2. No3 is not to sharp either "meaning popular" and I very much doubt it has anything to do with the ping/routing issues some get since its been there from day 1 at random times other than that they are perfectly good servers to start again would also be a risk of our community and populating a new ip etc..

If we had more donations we could look to sack #3 and vent which only adds up to around £20 ish then we could consider a dedicated server hoping our funds still meet there goal then it wouldn't be so bad = more servers maybe more games not just tf2 etc makes sense but doesn't make sense losing the 2 populated servers we have know  Razz

Thought of it many times the only way we could do this is save the money/funds and ask for more than we currently need to spend each mth atm being around £60 so ask for £90 or lose #3 "temp" and ask for £80 and save the difference till we have enough. When we then have enough for 3-6mth dedicated server then it would be possible Smile could try it out and ask for more money now to start saving  Idea

#4: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: carlos PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:40 pm
    —
yep i totally agree with #1 no way to take the ip with you so it isn't even worth the thought of losing !!!!!

but its worth a thought on the long run savings that could be made on the other 2 and maybe the sales of say 2 servers keeping the extra for thg

and again with saving now for 3-4 months up front will also give a 30%-35% saving,  

and thats why i said fully managed because it is alot of time and effort on anything less:)

anyways worth a think about or maybe even if thg can trial it for 2 months without giving up anything with have now maybe a better option  Shocked

Confused  Smile

#5: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: frozen_ PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:59 pm
    —
on that topic, a question, since aras did say something along those lines on the server once, too: why is it a big problem if the IP of THG gets changed? i mean, they would get updated on this very website, right?
thg members and server regulars could easily retrieve the new IP, and if someone had it in their fav list and went on there from time to time, he could just google for it...that's what i would do.
also, we could have an announcement on the server that the IP is going to get changed in the next time, and to watch out for it. so, is it really that big of a deal, just because of the IP?

#6: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: TopherLocation: Durham PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:23 pm
    —
I like the sound of this idea Binksy, indeed we can't lose our current IPs for #1 & #2 but if we can get enough to at least try out a dedicated server that sounds good. I think that as the #3 is currently unused and low ranking it wouldn't be such a big deal to lose it, and if we can convince enough people to donate then this could work.

If we got it how many games could it host? would we have faaaar more games/IPs than we could ever use?
Indeed branching out into other games would possibly be good for the community.

#7: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: SuperTimo PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:38 pm
    —
Then we must get a minecraft server Very Happy

#8: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: nOOb PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:41 pm
    —
Quote:

maybe a call of duty black ops server?
or medal of honor ?!
or league of legends?!
or battlefield3 ?!

some cool games!

not
Quote:
minecraft server
 Very Happy

#9: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: Schaap PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:45 pm
    —
SuperTimo wrote (View Post):
Then we must get a minecraft server Very Happy

SssssssssssstBOOM headshot?

Needless to say, I would play on this Minecraft server :)

Also, I don't know what the deal is with the current IP adress but maybe you can forward the old IP to a new server IP for a period (a few weeks should do it) while you plug the new server IP in a shameless fashion.

#10: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: carlos PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:02 pm
    —
Topher wrote (View Post):
I like the sound of this idea Binksy, indeed we can't lose our current IPs for #1 & #2 but if we can get enough to at least try out a dedicated server that sounds good. I think that as the #3 is currently unused and low ranking it wouldn't be such a big deal to lose it, and if we can convince enough people to donate then this could work.

If we got it how many games could it host? would we have faaaar more games/IPs than we could ever use?

Dell Poweredge Dual-Core
CPU Intel Dual Core Xeon 2.4GHz
4MB Cache (1066fsb)
RAM 2GB DDR2
Hard Disk 160GB SATA (7200rpm)
Bandwidth Unlimited!
Connection 100mbit burstable
Run around 5-7 busy game servers simultaneously

ell Poweredge Quad-Core
CPU Intel Quad Core Xeon 2.4GHz
8MB Cache (1066fsb)
RAM 4GB DDR2
Hard Disk 160GB SATA (7200rpm)
Bandwidth Unlimited!
Connection 100mbit burstable
Run around 7-12 busy game servers simultaneously

plus vent ts or whatever and tc admin for sales as i think it would be agood idea to make some money from this if it was to happen.
 as donations shouldn't be the only thing relied on
And yes the ip is a big deal.  Smile

#11: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: aolism PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:22 pm
    —
I looked into this a while ago, its certainly an option, but you need to get a host with decent routing and systems for gaming. There's a lot of forum posts about hosting games on dedicated servers, and also on the steam user forums on HLDS etc. I think consensus was you can reliably host 1 game per core, a suitably specced server would have at least 4 cores, you may get away with more games. I don't think IP is problem if you were putting THG1 and 2 on it, I just use server browser and sure most do the same, but probably not worth risking moving them initially. Then you'd think of your OS, if you'd want site/stats on it etc...

#12: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: AMT PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:37 pm
    —
I don't get all of this but let me see:

for £90 we get:

Server #1
Server #2
Server #3
Vent
1 Dedicated Game Server: in here we can run 5 servers? only TF2? (already answered)

now with £90/monthly, we have to wait for 6 month to do this.

How much a Dedicated Game Server cost in a month.
-------------------------------
I say we go for it. Its nice to try something new for a change. I will try my best with donations.

EDIT: forgot to post this, something were answered.

Last edited by AMT on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

#13: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: aolism PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:43 pm
    —
I can link the host if anyone wants it:

Quad Core Intel Xeon X3430 i5
Server Type Dell PowerEdge
Monthly Pricing £ 139

Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon i7
Monthly Pricing £ 449

Dual - Hexa Core Intel Xeon i7
Monthly Pricing £ 549

obviously exc VAT.

You can get a 24 player TF2 server from a good uk host for £18

#14: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: OdysseyLocation: Oxfordshire, UK PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:02 pm
    —
HERE'S MY LITTLE INPUT:

I think that the change of IP could be made insignificant, especially by various announcements a month, a week and the weekend before the switch.

Besides, with the lower pings and other issues we're having right now, this should attract more traffic after a few months of the switch.

I think it's worth it, heck, it could even mean a week or so where THG members could always get into the server when they wanted Razz

#15: No icon Re: For the money everything costs to keep running Author: SuperTimo PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:05 pm
    —
After hearing all this I think it could be worth a try! If not for servers 1 and 2 at first, at least to test in place of #3. But best leave it to those who know this stuff (binksy etc.) Smile

Triggerhappygamers.com -> General Chat

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2