Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 26 Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 pm
DaV View latest post
Maps request Servers Kaibz 53 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 pm
DaV View latest post
Hello Everybody Introductions vuaerom 7 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:44 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
Choo-Choo-Choose Me! Apply to join THG Regs JoePinball 6 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
#1 Server Stability Issue Team Fortress 2 TheKnigget 1 Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm
DaV View latest post
Ban Appeal Banned? Sophie_Hatter 4 Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm
DaV View latest post
Blame it on the Boom Boom Team Fortress 2 Shadow_Samurai 4 Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Shadow_Samurai View latest post
#2 Steam group chat Team Fortress 2 asmila 1 Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 pm
asmila View latest post

Analysis of 3 Custom Maps [Comprehensive]

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2 -> Servers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fnif
Regular@THG
Regular@THG

votes: 1
denmark.png

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:05 am Post subject: No icon Analysis of 3 Custom Maps [Comprehensive] Reply with quote

Hi THG

Fnif here, as always I strive to improve the server and the community!

A post on reddit inspired me to put in a few hours of map testing, to spare you guys some time and hopefully get some custom maps added to the server!
Reddit post: Reddit

Anyway, after a bit of testing. I have found three maps I want to show you guys. (I did not test all the maps, this is just part 1)

Map 1: Let me introduce you to KotH_Persia
http://tf2maps.net/threads/persia.9385/

This map is a sandstyle/arabic artistic inspired map.

As the name indicates, it is King of the Hill.

Stylish it is well made and a fresh breath to the classic badwater/upward style.

Before testing the maps, I made a few focus points that are vital for a map to be a good experience for the 28 players on THG

Sky box? Nothing is worse than bumping your head into the skybox as a soldier. This is no problem on this map.

Choky? Constant 28 players can be overwhelming on a small map. So the maps have to be semi big and wide to contain all these players
First this Persia got going regarding map design, is keeping the spawn away from the central action, meaning no spawncamping.
The obstacles between mid and spawn has plenty of ways to attack, which is vital!
The center of the map - Control Point is very wide, and lets players go ham on each other!

Verdict: Was very impressed. Looks good, runs good, seems balanced and is most likely capable of containing 28 players (requires testing)

Map 2
PL_metropolis_b5
http://tf2maps.net/threads/metropolis.15481/

No point in hiding that I am very much a fan of Payload. However, I am not shying away from being critical nevertheless.

Metropolis is a very pretty map. Looks great and the blue spawn is very well made.
It is a bit hightech clean stylish art. Very refreshing!

The skybox is fine, however a bit of places you cannot go, due to invisable walls..

It is quite long, but fair length. Shorter than Frontier I believe.

However, it has some downsides. Some capturepoints is very choky, found a few ones that spell trouble.
Chokepoints is very dangerous on a 28 man server. However, depending on spawnpoints, it is manageable.
My biggest concern with this map is by far the balancing.
This is my first impression, but defenders seems to have some VERY strong holdning points! With sentries being incredibly strong.
I cannot rush how many places sentries can have highground and completely shut down a chokepoint. Nevertheless, with the many medics on THG, it is possible to uber in a direct hit soldier. But this might cause some trouble, and requires testing.

Verdict: Pretty map that has a lot of creative and innovative designs!
We should try it out, but maybe hesitate putting it on the server right away, since defenders might just stomp attackers (Unsure here)
Very much worth trying!

Map 3
CP_sulfur_B4
http://tf2maps.net/threads/sulfur.26061/

Sulfur is a japanese inspired map, with the same art style as KotH_suijin

However, this is where the comparison stops.

Sulfur is a CP map like Steel and Gothic.

As earlier stated, I am a Payload fanboy, but this map might be the one I am most excited about!

HUUUUGE battlefields with tons of fun enviroment.
Great ambushplaces and hideaways.
It is build with and A B C and final D cap.
Just like steel, you can cap D any time, but very difficult and encourage Red to take A then B then C first.

Skybox is open and choke points are not an issue. Much less choky than Steel for instance.

Looks so pretty and has a great diversity!

Most likely handles 28 players just fine!
However, I wonder if attackers have an advantage (Not sure)

Verdict: Add, add, add this! This with Persia would be great additions to the server rotation. It is very capable of handling the 28 players, and looks like a ton of fun.
Only concern would be performance wise. And ofc Aeryn getting lost... Just look at the signs and you will be fine!!!

Anyway, this took quite a while to create.
I hope you appreciated it

Very lazy tldr.

KotH Persia
http://tf2maps.net/threads/persia.9385/
8,8/10 (Addable)

Pl_Metropolis
http://tf2maps.net/threads/metropolis.15481/
7/10 (Requires testing, custom night?)

CP_Sulfur
http://tf2maps.net/threads/sulfur.26061/
9,5/10 (Addable)

- Fnif
---------------------------------------------------------
RedRidingNope
Regular@THG
Regular@THG

votes: 2
finland.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Pyro
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:42 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Analysis of 3 Custom Maps [Comprehensive] Reply with quote

I have actually played 2 of these maps, possibly also the Persia, but can't say for sure.

I really liked Sulfur, it's a beautiful map, cp_steel style gameplay and loads of small corridors for a little Pyro to flank from ♥

Metropolis I didn't like that much, it felt like an endless corridor. It might have been updated since I last played it tho. Atmosphere was nice, but quite different from normal TF2.
Big_Daddy
Regular@THG
Regular@THG

djibouti.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Spy
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:47 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Analysis of 3 Custom Maps [Comprehensive] Reply with quote

Didn't play any of these maps, but they sure look interesting.
Especially the steel/gothic one and the koth one, love the looks of both maps. Maybe they can be swapped out with some of the custom maps that are never played/not popular (maybe get rid of badwater as well Razz )
DaV
Community Admin
Community Admin

uk.png

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:56 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Analysis of 3 Custom Maps [Comprehensive] Reply with quote

Maps uploaded and should be on the nominate menu. I suspect a few may be more suited to a custom map night.

They're also downloadable from here if you don't want to download them in-game.
binksy
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 10
uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:02 am Post subject: No icon Re: Analysis of 3 Custom Maps [Comprehensive] Reply with quote

yes its good we have allot more maps and that they are played these days!

Dav is right though a "custom night sometimes helps to test them more and gain feedback" as some maps may not be so good or have bugs etc!

This is where we need more of your help as we have well over 60 custom maps which all add upto xx GBs, we only have a 96gb ssd "total" so space is somewhat limited however we don't need to worry yet, If we keep adding without removing "the not played and or rubbish/buggy maps" we have to worry "further down the line" as it will soon fill up.

It is very easy to add custom maps! however its hard to know what maps are not being played or have bugs or have updated versions etc etc etc.

Anyway its just a heads up as I think this doesn't get thought about as much as it prob should. else we would have maps to delete and replace.  Wink

PS. I will have to play Tf2 as I've almost forgot how 2  Laughing
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
Coins
Regular@THG
Regular@THG

netherlands.png

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:02 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Analysis of 3 Custom Maps [Comprehensive] Reply with quote

binksy wrote (View Post):
yes its good we have allot more maps and that they are played these days!

Dav is right though a "custom night sometimes helps to test them more and gain feedback" as some maps may not be so good or have bugs etc!

This is where we need more of your help as we have well over 60 custom maps which all add upto xx GBs, we only have a 96gb ssd "total" so space is somewhat limited however we don't need to worry yet, If we keep adding without removing "the not played and or rubbish/buggy maps" we have to worry "further down the line" as it will soon fill up.

It is very easy to add custom maps! however its hard to know what maps are not being played or have bugs or have updated versions etc etc etc.

Anyway its just a heads up as I think this doesn't get thought about as much as it prob should. else we would have maps to delete and replace.  Wink

PS. I will have to play Tf2 as I've almost forgot how 2  Laughing

You can always check the HlstatsX in the map section what map is played the least.
---------------------------------------------------------
Nintendo friendcode: 3797-7900-0588
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2 ->  Servers All times are UTC [DST enabled]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: