Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 24 Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:50 pm
Fareseed View latest post
Maps request Servers Kaibz 53 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 pm
DaV View latest post
Hello Everybody Introductions vuaerom 7 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:44 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
Choo-Choo-Choose Me! Apply to join THG Regs JoePinball 6 Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
#1 Server Stability Issue Team Fortress 2 TheKnigget 1 Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 pm
DaV View latest post
Ban Appeal Banned? Sophie_Hatter 4 Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm
DaV View latest post
Blame it on the Boom Boom Team Fortress 2 Shadow_Samurai 4 Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Shadow_Samurai View latest post
#2 Steam group chat Team Fortress 2 asmila 1 Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 pm
asmila View latest post

Reserved Slot
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2 -> Servers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 3
portugal.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Sniper
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:16 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Reserved Slot Reply with quote

You banned the guy I was talking about. Did you check the chatlog or did you just see him insulting again?
---------------------------------------------------------
kLoWn
Admin+
Admin+

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 am Post subject: No icon Re: Reserved Slot Reply with quote

I think Prez ideas are worth trying.

In order to keep the server busy and the community alive we need new blood, which means traffic on the server!

k
Be brave and shoot rockets so that kLoWn may love thee
i-liek-turtals
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

turkey.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Pyro&Spy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:41 am Post subject: No icon Re: Reserved Slot Reply with quote

I have a theory about random crits. They aren't actually random. Yes, events occur randomly (ie a melee scout against a heavy or a heavy against 3 random classes) but situations are likely programmed. This is valve we're talking about. I think they didin't do it like "if a gun fires it has this % of crit chance". I realized this when I had this moment; I was playing spy (big suprise there) and I killed the medic of a heavy medic pair. Then the heavy instantly realized the situation and turned back to me. The moment he started shooting his gun, it was pouring crits and rainbows into my eyes. That was the most obvious situation I've had and that day I rethink the idea of "random crit". It's not related to the topic in any way, I know, but I though I'd share my opinions about it. When you think about it like that "random crits" are not that bad. (even it's a lie and probably, it is) (next time when you start critting, just review the situation. you might find some logic in it)

Anyway, as I read what I wrote on the 1st post, I think people might see it like "I PAID, WHERE'S MY F**KING SLOT!". That's not the case. I can not stress this enough. I only asked because as Precizion said, there aren't any proper servers left thanks to this F2P business. Yours is the only one in my fav. list so I though I should ask. As for quality improvement, the ideas are risky. Dropping from Valve's quick join thing and doing some revision to the server name & tags might actually improve the quality but on the other hand it might drop the server traffic drastically. I know I have no say in this but I hope you consider doing some changes. I'll be there in any case.
GatesMcTaste
THG Member
THG Member

uk.png

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:32 am Post subject: No icon Re: Reserved Slot Reply with quote

I've changed my stance on crits over the past year, they are built into certain classes (solly being one). Valve even say themselves in the dev commentary that it rewards players who perform well. But the main reason my view altered is that so many classes have weapons that have procedural crits, sniper with sydney sleeper, jarate, scout with crit a cola etc etc etc, that when I play it makes no difference whether they are on or off there's so many crits flying around.
HerrDocktor
THG Member
THG Member

blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Reserved Slot Reply with quote

Quote:

we could do more stuff to keep the actual community players happy, such as no crits or no random spread etc, and help cut down on the things that can annoy and give those who've been playing a long time burnout.

random crits \0/. One of the most irksome 'features'. Just last nite on a random crit server, medic-ing ,with a full kritz uber, on goldrush, defense, stage 3, first cap. I barely notice a crit demo pill and narrowly dodge it .. only to have it hit the ground behind me and 1-hit me from full health.
The demoman in question was spamming the choke from far away, near the blu side exit ...

Quote:
old regulars have left and there just aren't as many to fill the server these days and keep the playing level all that high (though it's pretty good some nights..

Regarding THG servers, from the experience of starting the server from zero, what happens most of the time is that the newbies get siphoned into one team more than the other. The games that follow are not GG's. When the newbies ragequit, some of the ppl that come in are higher skilled, in a few more ragequitting cycles the skill level increases enough for GG"s to happen. That's when Precizion logs on :P

But ye, these days if I'm playing TF2 and want a gg I'm most likely to go to reddit servers. No random crits, autoscramble and much higher skill level on average, too bad they have alltalk on ... Sad
Otherwise skial servers have a good autoscramble that helps keep things more even with more newbies around.

Quote:
, I am for keeping the server vanilla

I'd be careful about using the word "vanilla". Most ppl associate vanilla with default set of weapons, no unlocks.

Quote:
I have a theory about random crits. They aren't actually random.

yeah .. I think they are random, it's just this pesky human brain that remembers patterns/things in a certain way as to make it seem like it's not random...
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
GatesMcTaste
THG Member
THG Member

uk.png

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:03 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Reserved Slot Reply with quote

As I have said before and a developer in the audio commentary (for gravel pit I believe) random crits are not random they have a base percentage which increases to reward a player who performs well:

Quote:
Standard weapons have a 2% base chance to crit, while melee weapons have a 15% chance. An additional bonus percentage is added based on the total damage done by the player in the last 20 seconds, which scales from 0% at 0 damage to 10% at 800 damage. For example: dealing 200 damage in the past 20 seconds, the additional bonus percentage is 2.5%.
The critical hit chance for melee weapons scales more sharply than that for ranged weapons. Melee critical hit chances can reach up to 65%, meaning the bonus they receive scales from 0% to 50%.
Among those weapons that trigger randomly, critical hit probability is determined differently based on the type of weapon. Single-shot weapons, which, for example, include the Shotgun, Revolver, and Rocket Launcher, determine the chance to crit with every shot. Thus, every shot of the Shotgun will have a 2% chance to launch a flurry of critical pellets, assuming no previous damage done. Rapid-fire weapons, however, which include the Minigun, Syringe Gun, Flamethrower, and Pistol check for critical hits once a second. With weapons like these, a positive crit determination results in all shots for the next two seconds being critical.

I can as a heavy spam damage and fight another heavy just at the point and have a greater percentage to crit by 8% over him, having 10% crit chance and an 8% advantage is not random.

Also in addition to that, having weapons that create crits/mini crits for the player(s) it makes having any form of random crit argument completely irrelevant.
HerrDocktor
THG Member
THG Member

blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:45 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Reserved Slot Reply with quote

it is still random, even if ther's a higher chance of occurrence in certain situations.
For example: x means no crit, 0 means crit:

Unboosted:

xxxx0xxxxx0xxxxxx000xx00xx0xxx -> x number of shots, y number of crits
Boosted:
00x0x0xx0x0xxx0xxx0xxx00xx0xxx -> x number of shots, y+3 number of crits
or another sequence:
0xxxxxx000x0x00x0x0xx0xxxxxxx0 -> x number of shots, y+3 number of crits

That is what it means to be random, you can't know next shot is going to be a crit, at most you can say that in x number of shots, y will be crits. So yes, it's random, it's the same kind of random like having a dice with 8 facets vs a dice with 10 facets. The one with 8 facets will get more chances of landing number "1" for instance. when you do 'damage and increase your crit chance' you actually exchange a dice for another. It's still random.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2 ->  Servers All times are UTC [DST enabled]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: