Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:20 am
binksy View latest post
New Admin - Derfy News & Announcements DaV 8 Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 pm
Heimerdinger View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Sanction appeal Banned? ro_Dr2021 3 Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:51 pm
DaV View latest post
We have a artist on the server Team Fortress 2 olshi 63 Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:16 pm
vuaerom View latest post
Consider reducing the max player cap to 24 for the servers? Servers bigtimerush 15 Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:56 pm
las3r_turk3n View latest post
USB headset mic too quiet in-game? Team Fortress 2 JoePinball 1 Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:23 am
DaV View latest post
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 49 Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:16 am
zapo View latest post
Hello Introductions Jimi 15 Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:07 am
Nat View latest post
Lots of Maps, Very Few Played - Monthly Rota? Servers Helmsman2 9 Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:03 am
zapo View latest post
Winter is coming ... new winter map propositions Team Fortress 2 zapo 6 Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:44 pm
Gilly View latest post

Dwarf Fortress!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Any Game!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

votes: 34
blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:21 pm Post subject: No icon Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

Anybody here play this awesome game? Dwarf Fortress! Basically it's a game where you have a bunch of dwarves and you need to build them a fortress (surprising!). In reality it's probably the most awesomest game ever! Why isn't everyone playing it then? Because it uses ascii-symbols for graphics and has a user interface that can make you lose your sanity. I'm not going to try and explain how to play it, that requires hours (yeah right), or years (more likely) if you want to master it. But it's free, so why not try it?

So what can you do there? How could a dwarf fortress be interesting? Well, to name a few things: monkeys can steal your cheese, elephants can be tamed by your dwarfs and then block the pathways in the fortress, elephants can eat your dwarves, your dwarves can eat monkeys, goblins can attack you fortress and be killed, your dwarves can use the goblins' bodies as weapons and kill monkeys, you can flood your fortress with water or magma, you can make your dwarves build a trap, you can trap and tame monkeys, you can make cheese, you can trade, you can tunnel into balrog's lair, your dwarves can go insane and forget to eat, you can make a basket, you can build a ballista, you can build a magma cannon and your dwarves can have personalities! Also their eyelids are simulated individually. And there's a skill for biting.
---------------------------------------------------------
Is bungle the same as juggle?
Precizion
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 5
blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:04 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

Been playing Nethack for years, but never gotten around to giving DF a try. Have been meaning to someday though. Getting started is always the tough part of these games though - just so much to learn.
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:09 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

So true. And in my opinion DF makes games like Nethack and ADOM seem simple in comparison  Razz You pretty much need to read through a tutorial to get started, just to learn the interface. There was a cool video tutorial for it that I saw sometime last year, but I doubt it's valid anymore. A new version of the game was released just some time ago that had lots of new stuff, effectively making the old tutorials more or less useless for now.

And for those allergic to ascii there are graphical tilesets available! But those are also still being updated to match the new version AFAIK. And I forgot that in addition to the fortress building there is also an adventure-mode in DF, which is similar to Nethack etc. in a way that you control one dwarf/whatnot there, roaming around murdering people.
BigFacedCat

votes: 1
uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:14 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

Argh my eyes.   Shocked

I have downloaded it and am giving it a try. I don't really know what's going on in it though !
Precizion
Server Admin
Server Admin

votes: 5
blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:00 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

BigFacedCat wrote (View Post):
Argh my eyes.   Shocked

I have downloaded it and am giving it a try. I don't really know what's going on in it though !

Found this which I'm running through after deciding to give it a try.

Just download his version (which has the graphics tiles) and load his save and follow everything in the guide. Makes it easy with someone telling you what to do at every turn.
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:37 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

Yes, that's a good tutorial  Smile Shame it's an older version, but like it says, you'll know how to play the current version after going through that one.
frozen_
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 12
libya.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Demoman
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:29 am Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

hahaha, timo, you ALWAYS come up with this awesome new style of games...im thinking about minecraft :3
but sounds pretty interesting, i'll give it a try...and the ascii graphics remind me of asciiportal...probably because both are ascii Very Happy
nOOb
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 27
blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:41 am Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

argh it wants me to think before i play oh noez  Shocked
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:44 am Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

Here's a working tileset for the newest version: Tileset for DF Just download the pre-installed package and it works just like that, no tweaking needed. I don't mind ascii, but graphics are still nicer I think  Very Happy
Phydaux

uk.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Scout
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:07 am Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of DF. Been playing it since the old "2D" version (you could only dig into the side of a mountain, not down). I'm waiting for a few more of the bugs to be fixed before I get back into it. I prefer the ASCII chars over any tile-sets. It's like the matrix, you stop seeing the characters and instead see the dwarfs going about their business. And if you're interested in playing it at all you need the DF bible: The Dwarf Fortress Wiki

I couldn't take any more fun in my last fortress, so I've abandoned it. This is the tale of WheelBeard's downfall.

The fort was still small (about 60 dwarfs), and needed a proper defence. I started off selecting a few of the more useless dwarfs and turned them into my military. I kitted out the new recruits with axes, and plate armour. A few raids from the local goblins toughened up my military, they were all proficient in hacking people apart.

One day, one of my axe-dwarfs got into a strange mood. She'd been a glassmaker before being drafted, and would not eat, drink or care for her child until she could create the legendary glass artefact she dreamed of making. All I had to do was provide the necessary workshop and sand. Unfortunately, the area I had embarked upon didn't have any sand, and the trade caravans didn't bring any for me to trade. With no food, or drink, or sand there was no chance for her to turn her dream into reality. Instead it turned her insane. An insane, well-trained axedwarf is not good.

I had already sent the rest of the militia to her location at the fort trade depot. However, she was carrying both her child and an axe when she went berserk. She made swift work of the child, limbs went flying across the depot that was still having the goblin blood cleaned off it. Before she could be stopped, she charged across to the entrance of the fort where other dwarfs were carrying goblin corpses to the rubbish pit outside, and cut the legs off another dwarf baby. Then chopped its mother's head off. And with that the militia reached her and showed her the true meaning of dwarf justice, with their axes.

Her husband was distraught at loosing both his child and wife. And most of the fort had turned against him. Especially the father of the other child that was killed. This is when the tantrums started. Workshops were vandalised, the mayor was hit by a thrown chair, and broke his arm. And the goblins would not stop attacking. The fort stopped functioning as everyone started fighting with everyone else, leaving the traps jammed with goblin gibs, and the dead guard dogs were left chained to the walls and not replaced. The sneaky goblin child snatchers made off with a few of the children.

I couldn't take any more DF fun. This is where I left it. The dwarf fort of WheelBeard was taken down by one dwarf with a dream.

You should also read the story of Bronzemurdered, it's illustrated beautifully.
Forum Rules
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:41 am Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

Great story! Even if a bit morbid one  Razz I haven't had time to get back into DF now sadly because of work, but maybe at the end of the summer again. I'd really like to have my fortress destroyed by some crazy dwarf or goblins.
Joko

votes: 1
blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:00 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

And all that actually happens within the game mechanics you say?
Look at this damn Hipster. Who likes Lady Gaga.
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:19 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

No doubt about it. It's an incredibly complex game, but the drawback is that it has an incredibly steep learning curve. The UI and ASCII graphics will scare away most people. But if you do get through the initial shock, the hijinks described by Phydaux await Smile
nOOb
THG Member
THG Member

votes: 27
blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:54 am Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

OR you can go play settlers,not exactly the same but won't rape your eyes neither
SuperTimo
Forum God
Forum God

blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:37 am Post subject: No icon Re: Dwarf Fortress! Reply with quote

nOOb wrote (View Post):
not exactly the same

That's a bit of an understatement Very Happy It's like comparing building a little house out of legos to designing and building a real life office complex... But Settlers 2 is still a great game Smile
Forum Rules
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  Any Game! All times are UTC
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: