Make A Donation - Keep Our Servers Online
Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Welcome to THG gaming community, Sign up NOW post new topics, reply to topics, play arcade games and much much more. It takes 1 minute to register
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Triggerhappygamers.com Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 2 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Make A Donation / Status News & Announcements binksy 174 Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:20 am
binksy View latest post
Server testing tonight on the new box! News & Announcements binksy 5 Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:59 pm
Fareseed View latest post

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Map updates available. Team Fortress 2 Fareseed 28 Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:26 pm
DaV View latest post
Maps request Servers Kaibz 53 Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:45 pm
DaV View latest post
Hello Everybody Introductions vuaerom 7 Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:44 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
Choo-Choo-Choose Me! Apply to join THG Regs JoePinball 6 Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:42 pm
LuluTADAM View latest post
#1 Server Stability Issue Team Fortress 2 TheKnigget 1 Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:58 pm
DaV View latest post
Ban Appeal Banned? Sophie_Hatter 4 Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:32 am
DaV View latest post
Blame it on the Boom Boom Team Fortress 2 Shadow_Samurai 4 Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:15 pm
Shadow_Samurai View latest post
#2 Steam group chat Team Fortress 2 asmila 1 Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 pm
asmila View latest post

Text based games, dying breed?

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index -> Any Game!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Text based games?
Love 'em, never get old
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Tried, (insert thoughts here)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
How 'bout dem pies?
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Never tried
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Boring, never got into them...
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Sanchez
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

finland.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Sc00t
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:00 am Post subject: No icon Text based games, dying breed? Reply with quote

Not to totally underestimate YOU intelectually, but you can probably guess that text based games are games with no or VERY limited graphics and everyhting else is based on text or different symbols.
Most of the very old adventure games, hence the word OLD, were text based and required quite a bit of thought on how to advance in the game.
The lack of graphics and the fact that most of the games were quite complicated, since they required "certain imagination logic".
These are the most obvious reasons why many gamers instantly turn their backs to this forgotten game type.

IF you can actually overcome these, IMO, naive obstacles you may/will find these games very interesting, since they can be VERY immersive if you have any kind of imagination.

Not to sound oblivious to the fact that there isn't many text based, good ones, in existence anymore is, because developers aren't so limited on technology like they were back in the OLD days.

Into the actual games, there are still very good text games and my favorite of all is BatMUD (online).

Beats WoW, GW, EVE, Anarchy or ANY modern MMORPG games available, simply due to the fact that the game has very small boundaries on what you are NOT allowed/possible to do.

Other reasons; 1.Very clear game with map support everywhere in the game, not counting dungeons or other "inside" places.
2.Well polished with alot of players, counting it as an text game.
3. Immersive and fun, most of the boring grind feels actually very interesting just to the fact that you can't "see" what's going on.

I know that many/most text games have these same elements, but the small details make BatMUD stand out from the others, making it the BEST MMORPG yet.

Why the best, cause this is the only MMORPG I still play. I have played WoW, Guild Wars, EVE, Anarchy and many others, but they all seem to run out of stuff to do when you get to a certain level.

What are your experiences on text based games, remember that graphics don't make a good game.

Also, I'm not stating that text based games are better, overall many of them are shite, even for the rich minded.
druid
Community Admin
Community Admin

votes: 11
blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:00 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Text based games, dying breed? Reply with quote

yeah.. muds.. didnt think anyone here was that old to remember them Wink
---------------------------------------------------------
Lord Vader finds your lack of competence.. disturbing..
Sanchez
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

finland.png

Favourite TF2 Class: Sc00t
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:17 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Text based games, dying breed? Reply with quote

Neither am I, but that's exatcly why I brought up the whole topic  Surprised
drcalypso

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:54 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Text based games, dying breed? Reply with quote

i liked playing old text based logic games on my Didaktik M (czech clone of ZX Spectrum). All of them was in czech language, so nobody of you know them probably.
Stick
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:25 am Post subject: No icon Re: Text based games, dying breed? Reply with quote

"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike." Confused

Well, that takes me back. And back. It's true, the brain has better graphics than most vidcards are capable of. But I haven't played any MUD or Interactive Fiction in ages.

I wonder, I wonder...

> EXAMINE THE INTERNET

... oh, yes. I can find a ZX Spectrum emulator. And a virtual tape of the Hobbit game. Hmmmmm!
We're Pyros. We're supposed to be surrounded.
Please view and read our Forum & Server Rules
Forum Rules
DiscoHermit

votes: 1
blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:15 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Text based games, dying breed? Reply with quote

I used to have loads but I can only actually remember 3.  The obviously famous hitchhikers guide game, Pawn and Fish.  The beauty of these games was that the quality of it depended on the skills of the writer.  A lot of these games are now available online!  Saw an article in Cracked recently actually that was quite funny.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/revisiting-old-school-text-adventures-as-a-jaded-modern-gamer/
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."
- Douglas Adams -
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Triggerhappygamers.com Forum Index ->  Any Game! All times are UTC
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: